FYI - Mt. Morrison is CLOSED

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CRAIGO
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (6)

Re: FYI - Mt. Morrison is CLOSED

Post by CRAIGO »

[quote="astrobassman"] Maybe the north ridge from Matthews/Winters is an option too?

I ran the redrocks/wash trail loop yesterday and did not see any closures to Mt Morrison.
PGClimbs
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PGClimbs »

dude9478 wrote:
astrobassman wrote:I would imagine you could still get to the summit from non-established routes, like the southwest ridge. One day I parked at a pull off on the side of Morrison road up the canyon a ways and walked up to the summit. There was no trail, but it was still a good hike. Maybe the north ridge from Matthews/Winters is an option too?

As far as other front range peaks, check out the peaks by Boulder or Mt. Galbraith in Golden. My favorite by far is Goat Mountain in Littleton. Unfortunately the main route is from Waterton Canyon, which is also closed right now. Mt. Warren is a good one near Goat and there should be a route up that one that is open.

Another good hike is from Idledale. Park in Idledale somewhere and head south. Not sure if its really a summit, but there are great scrambling opportunities on that hill, and getting to the top is about the same elevation gain as Morrison.
Hmmm, do you know of another route up Goat Mountain that doesn't go through Waterton Canyon? I love that hike.
If I recall correctly, the trail from Waterton Canyon is basically the only way to access Goat Mountain's peak without trespassing on private land. So, unless you know those land owners, you'll have to wait until the Wateron Canyon dredging project finishes in 2012 to get to the top.
dude9478
14ers: 28 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dude9478 »

PGClimbs wrote:
dude9478 wrote:
astrobassman wrote:I would imagine you could still get to the summit from non-established routes, like the southwest ridge. One day I parked at a pull off on the side of Morrison road up the canyon a ways and walked up to the summit. There was no trail, but it was still a good hike. Maybe the north ridge from Matthews/Winters is an option too?

As far as other front range peaks, check out the peaks by Boulder or Mt. Galbraith in Golden. My favorite by far is Goat Mountain in Littleton. Unfortunately the main route is from Waterton Canyon, which is also closed right now. Mt. Warren is a good one near Goat and there should be a route up that one that is open.

Another good hike is from Idledale. Park in Idledale somewhere and head south. Not sure if its really a summit, but there are great scrambling opportunities on that hill, and getting to the top is about the same elevation gain as Morrison.
Hmmm, do you know of another route up Goat Mountain that doesn't go through Waterton Canyon? I love that hike.
If I recall correctly, the trail from Waterton Canyon is basically the only way to access Goat Mountain's peak without trespassing on private land. So, unless you know those land owners, you'll have to wait until the Wateron Canyon dredging project finishes in 2012 to get to the top.
That's what I figured
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

Thanks for the info on Morrison. That's disappointing, as I was just planning to head up there again in the next couple of days.
Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kojones »

I'm going to resurrect this thread. As an FYI, I was at Red Rocks yesterday and basically all routes up Mt Morrison except the South Ridge Trail at entrance 4 are closed. There is pretty clear signage saying trail closed, area closed, or no trespassing. I hadn't been up there in a few years, so it looks like they have reopened the South Ridge Trail. It was a good hike, and certainly reminded me of why I used to do it as a training climb. A good mix of terrain.

Cheers.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Thats fast. I did a trail run April 28 and it was open then.
Too far from the ampitheater to be a terror risk.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Kojones wrote:I'm going to resurrect this thread. As an FYI, I was at Red Rocks yesterday and basically all routes up Mt Morrison except the South Ridge Trail at entrance 4 are closed. There is pretty clear signage saying trail closed, area closed, or no trespassing. I hadn't been up there in a few years, so it looks like they have reopened the South Ridge Trail. It was a good hike, and certainly reminded me of why I used to do it as a training climb. A good mix of terrain.

Cheers.

Kojones
I don't believe the south ridge trail on Mt Morrison has ever been closed.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"