Climbing in the PNW

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Climbing in the PNW

Post by shredthegnar10 »

So I moved to Portland for a job this summer, and need to find people to climb with here. Anyone know of any sites similar to this for... Oregon/Washington? I'd like to climb Hood this summer and maybe Rainier in August depending on schedules.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Climbing in the PNW

Post by kushrocks »

Im shooting for Rainier in August. Are you going up on your own or with a guide? Im trying to train hard enough to do it in a long one day push if possible on the dissapointment cleaver route.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cascadecrusades.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nwhikers.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.summitpost.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.climbingwashington.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy your time up there! (we sure did :wink: ) Happy trails! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Send a PM to Aubrey. He is well north of you in Bellingham, moved from CO a year or so ago. Still active every now and again on this site, posts TR of he and Jen's PNW adventures. I'm sure he'd be up for showing you around a little.

Portland is a great town. Been a while since I've been there though, I now have a list of places to hit up from Food Network. Go get the monster donut.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Enjoy!

Two rainy chilly days in Colorado and I don't miss Portland at all - I seem to be the outlier though.

On a more positive note, I had a lot of luck finding climbing partners through craigslist and summitpost while living in OR - The Mazamas are a great resource - and I highly recommend climbing at Clingmans Dome (for the three months of the year it's accessible and dry).

Edit - French's Dome not Clingman's Dome... Sorry wrong state :oops:
Make wilderness less accessible.
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

Wow, thanks for all the links, guys.
I already registered on CascadeClimbers.com ... seems like a good site for meeting other climbers, which is nice since I moved here knowing literally no one. I'll be back in Colo. around Thanksgiving, since I still have two 14ers to go, but it looks like I'll have plenty of adventures for the summer.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
lazy climber
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazy climber »

I live in WA just across the river from Portland, if you have not already started you need to start running the trails in the Gorge, these are great trails for a day or few hour hike and you can run most of these trails year round. Also you should look at Hood now, or at least when we get a break inthe weather, if you are watching the weather you can see we "might" have a decent window this weekend. The conditions on Hood are good now, this summer, depending on what you call summer, usually after the fourth of July, Hood just becomes a big pile of rock wanting to fall down. I am guessing Hood wil have good climbing thru mid June.

There are several hills that can be done solo, Hood, Adams, middle and south sister, St Helens is a good hike but wil cost you about $25 for the permit. Shasta is a bout a 7 hour drive from Portland and you can solo Avalanche Gulch or can hook up with other climbers once you get to Helens Lake area. This all assumes you are comfortable out onthe hill by your self.

Visit the local climbing shops, let them know you are looking for someone to hike/climb with, they may have contacts for you. Send me an email if you want, I can at least give you info on some of the area. I think we are going over to look at Hood this friday night, try to get up and down before the weather comes in on Saturday.

There is one thing to remember, I think till about the first of June you will need a snowpark pass to park at any of the trailheads and then after that you need a NW Forrest pass to park. You can get these at REI or Dicks Sporting Goods as well as other stores.
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

lazy climber wrote:I am guessing Hood wil have good climbing thru mid June.
Can you bump that guesstimate back a week? :D I'll be on Hood 6/22 and 6/23.
lazy climber
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazy climber »

I guess it all depends on what you call "good" climbing, with the weather we are getting there will still be a fair amount of snow on the hill. You should be able to get all the way to the top on snow. However, the south side route will be about the only one still doable, the ridges should be dry by then and the rock fall picks up, the route on the upper part of the hill will be rutted out, the bergscrund will be open and there will still be lots of people climbing, so it will still be OK, just how "good" is a matter of opinion.

Last year we did not really have good weather till after the fourth of July so you could still get weathered off the hill that late in June. It is possible that the TH to the south side of Adams will be open by then. If it is and you have two days that would be a nice hike/climb although it would require a night out.

What are going to be doing for two days on Hood?????
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

I have a buddy up there that has climbed it a few times with Timberline Mtn Guides and we're climbing it with him/them. Day one = snow course, day 2 = climb. I'll be up there from the 21st through the 26th, but I think we're heading down to Bend after the climb. Although if I had my druthers, we'd knock off another cascade peak. St. Helens or Adams would be my preference. He hates slogs, so he is refusing to touch Adams again.

I've never used a guiding service, so this will be a new/interesting experience. I'm sure there is a TON to learn from them, so I should be able to pick up a lot of info.

It's a means to bigger and higher mountains. Hopefully I'll do Rainier next year, then hopefully Kili, Aconcagua, or Denali after that.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

I'm a Washington native living in Colorado now but my heart still lies in the Cascades. I will be home in the Seattle area by July 14th for a few weeks after 3 consecutive weeks of Colorado climbing. May be able to put a hike/climb together on my way back in to WA in mid-July??
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"