Salkantay Trek, Peru vs. Colorado 14ers

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
endresspt
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Salkantay Trek, Peru vs. Colorado 14ers

Post by endresspt »

Hey everyone. My wife & I are looking to do the Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu this summer. We were wondering if anybody had experience hiking it, and if so, how does it compare to some of the Colorado 14'ers (most specifically for Salkantay section of the hike to the pass at over 15,000 ft.). Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
mirhash
14ers: 24  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Salkantay Trek, Peru vs. Colorado 14ers

Post by mirhash »

I was in Ecuador climbing up to over 20,000ft this winter and I had no problems. Before that I had only been up Colorado 14ers and Mt. Rainier. I imagine you guys will do fine as long as you take a little time to acclimate and don't just shoot right up to 15k. have fun out there!
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

You may want to check out www. peaksandplaces.com you can see a slideshow and an itinerary. I did the Cordillera Huayhuash trek in 2006 and found that the 15,000' passes were not all that difficult. Peru is awesome!!
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

Salkantay pass was no problem for me and I did it last year (June) coming from a week in the jungle so I wasn't altitude adapted at all. I arrived in Cusco and noticed a minor altitude adjustment period there. I departed for my trek the next morning and we climbed from like 9000' to 12,300' that day. It seemed relatively easy but I had some altitude symptoms late in the day as we approached our camp. They went away as soon as I had a chance to rest a bit and eat dinner. The next day we hiked up to the 15,200' high pass between the two 6K meter peaks (awesome!) ... I felt it was way easier than a typical Colorado 14er - I really wasn't troubled by the altitude at all. Really, it is no big deal. Do you know how to do pressure breathing? That seems to help me when I'm exerting myself at altitude.

I have one comment on Peru - Coca Tea! Man, I wish we could use that stuff in CO. "La Hoya du coca no est druga!"
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
endresspt
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by endresspt »

Thanks guys for your help and input! We hope to have a great time!