Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Operation Pilot Fish

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: Operation Pilot Fish

Postby hotrod » Fri May 13, 2011 8:13 am

I'm thinking that it's not a bad thing to put some limits on the site. After all, it's called "14ers", and although other things are talked about, it was (I think) originally intended as a Colorado mountaineering community. There are other websites with world-wide info for folks who want it. I joined the site because it was specific, mainly, to Colorado, and I personally don't care to see it become too broad or diluted. Just my own opinion, and I'm sure many disagree. I'm not trying to start a fight here, just express my feelings. Please don't gang up on me!
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri May 13, 2011 9:10 am

The site will remain focused on Colorado peaks, for sure. The issue with registration is that many people outside of CO (and around the world), use the site for planning trips to CO. I don't want to prevent that so I'll always have the spam issue to a certain degree.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby MountainHiker » Fri May 13, 2011 9:26 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:The site will remain focused on Colorado peaks, for sure. The issue with registration is that many people outside of CO (and around the world), use the site for planning trips to CO. I don't want to prevent that so I'll always have the spam issue to a certain degree.

A good example is Jean Roy who came to Colorado and climbed all the fourteeners. And occasionally we get Europeans asking logistic questions. As someone who likes to travel I’d hate to see an increase in the punitive reciprocity that is already happening.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby hotrod » Fri May 13, 2011 10:58 am

Bill, thanks for the brief explanation of the topic. I guess I misunderstood the issue (and I'm still not sure I get it). I just know that after my first 14er (Yale) and making every dumb mistake that could be made, I was so happy to be told about this site. I have learned so much, and my Colorado vacations are so much more enjoyable, that I am very grateful that you are so dedicated to 14ers.com. A big personal thanks from me.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.

Previous