Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

One Big Posthole

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: One Big Posthole

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Fri May 06, 2011 6:38 am

DSCN1290.JPG
DSCN1290.JPG (61.95 KiB) Viewed 1835 times

Holy Cross 2008. Passed the gentlemen and his dog in the pic on the way down, I was on the rocks, he was still on the snow.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby Jim Davies » Fri May 06, 2011 8:38 am

Funny, I also watched people walking on that cornice that same summer (probably later than you, August 30th). I recall thinking that this was an accident waiting to happen, but this was after my "enlightenment".
cornice.jpg
cornice.jpg (98.27 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Presto » Fri May 06, 2011 8:43 am

On one of our spring trips of Challenger, we were glissading down the large cut with our friend, Tanya. Everything's going fine ... my husband and I stop at one point to look back and see how she's doing ... and she's nowhere to be seen. She had gotten sucked down into a weakened area in the middle of the glissade route (that we had already slid down). She's a tall gal (about 5'10"). By the time we hiked back up to where she was, she was standing in the bottom of the hole and couldn't be seen from above without peering down into the hole. Needless to say, it took both of us to help her out.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Fri May 06, 2011 9:30 am

Jim Davies wrote:Funny, I also watched people walking on that cornice that same summer (probably later than you, August 30th).

Yeh, late July 2008.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby OBC13 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:43 pm

This thread reminds me of early July 2009 when we were climbing Fletcher. There was still quite a bit of snow on the upper part of the ridge. I put my foot down and it just kept going. Then it was caught. I didn't feel any rock below but it was very difficult to get my foot out. I hadn't been thinking about a cornice, just following what appeared to be the crest of the ridge. But the crest of a cornice can be out away from the crest of the ridge.
OBC13

Postby jameseroni » Sat May 07, 2011 3:31 pm

FWIW - Just climbed Torrey's via loveland pass yesterday. Crossed that same area where you fell through - your hole is covered up, waiting for some other unsuspecting traveler. Yikes.

Postby DArcyS » Mon May 09, 2011 12:06 am

If you want to be very prudent, before you leave home you should inspect the topo of the peak you are going to climb and assess the ridge. If the ridge involves a cliff or very steep terrain, setting even one foot on the snow may be taking a chance.

Postby mtnfiend » Mon May 09, 2011 5:49 pm

It gets worse.....photo taken on the south ridge to Uneva off Vail pass, February of this year. The person who fell in was on skis at the time.

Big Frekin Hole.jpg
Big Frekin Hole.jpg (35.18 KiB) Viewed 725 times
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby jameseroni » Mon May 09, 2011 6:16 pm

Looks like there's a hidden spruce underneath the surface on that last photo. Probably took away from the snow consolidation.

Previous