Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How do I remove snow baskets?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

How do I remove snow baskets?

Postby Mountain Ninja » Fri May 06, 2011 11:43 am

I got some new trekking poles and I'm trying to remove the snow baskets from my old/worn out poles. How do I do it?

To get them on, I twisted/screwed the basket onto the pole until it snapped.
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Re: How do I remove snow baskets?

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri May 06, 2011 11:47 am

I use Black Diamond Trail Back poles and it requires a bit of force. I have to twist mine at the same time as tugging pretty hard, but they usually slip right off.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby elchivoloco » Fri May 06, 2011 11:48 am

Mountain_Ninja wrote:To get them on, I twisted/screwed the basket onto the pole until it snapped.

Do that in reverse
The atmosphere is not a perfume, it has no taste of distillation, it is odorless. It is in my mouth forever, I am in love with it. I will go to the bank by the wood and become undisguised and naked, I am mad for it to be in contact with me. -Walt Whitman

Postby gsliva » Fri May 06, 2011 11:53 am

Channel locks to hold the pointed end. Brute force with you hands or another set of pliers or channel locks to twist the basket. They come off when you don't want them to and it's impossible when you do.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby Mountain Ninja » Fri May 06, 2011 12:12 pm

elchivoloco wrote:
Mountain_Ninja wrote:To get them on, I twisted/screwed the basket onto the pole until it snapped.

Do that in reverse

Lol. Okay yes I guess I just wasn't using enough "umph." Thanks guys, see some of you tonight/tomorrow! :)
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Postby MountainHiker » Fri May 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Mountain_Ninja wrote:
elchivoloco wrote:

Do that in reverse

Lol. Okay yes I guess I just wasn't using enough "umph." Thanks guys, see some of you tonight/tomorrow! :)

That’s good, I was about to suggest a sharp knife!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby COCO » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:45 pm

It's easier than it seems my friend, you don't need any tools but your bare hands and a little pressure. Do the following. To remove them from your pole, place the pole on the floor or on a hard surface in a vertical position, as if you were hiking.

Grab the snow basket, with both hands, between your index and your thumb as if you're holding a dish with both hands, but as close to the pole as you could.

Start making pressure toward the floor, increase the pressure until they pop off. To install them, place the pole upside down and repeat the operation the same way until they click.

Postby Dex » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 am

It depends upon the mfg. Some have twist on like a screw. Some have posts that you align and then push on and twist.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Scott P » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:03 am

Let your kids ski with them and the baskets will magically disappear.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Jay521 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:48 am

Scott P wrote:Let your kids ski with them and the baskets will magically disappear.

:lol:
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down