Island Peak/EBC

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mempho
Trip Reports (0)

Island Peak/EBC

Post by mempho »

Hey Ya'll,

I've been an avid reader over the past couple of years, and thought now would be a good opportunity to make my grand entrance in the forum! I'm currently set to graduate med school next May (2012) and thought a great way to reward myself is to plan out a trekking expedition in the Himalayas. For the past couple of months I've weighed my options and looked at several possibilities (kili, elbrus, etc..) but in the end felt like a trip to Nepal would put me in the best position to immerse myself in the local culture and to see some of the most beautiful scenery on earth.

For a little background, yes I'm from the southeast (hence, the "ya'll") and yes I have climbing experience. I've done several 14ers (in both whiteout blizzard conditions, and on picture perfect days) as well as some smaller hikes/climbs in the Rockies. I'm also moving to Steamboat for 4 months this fall for one of my rotations and plan on hitting as many summits as possible. With this being said, I have this nagging desire to challenge myself beyond the realm of 14,400 ft. I just want to get out and explore while I still have time. While the likes of Everest, Lhotse, and Cho Oyu are nowhere near realistic for my skill set, I feel like the Everest base camp and Island Peak trek are just what the doctor ordered (pun intended). I've gone through countless websites trying to figure out which guide company would be best for me to use. I've also come here and looked at the handful suggested in a previous thread. So far, Himalayan Glacier Trekking is the company sticking out the most to me at this time. Is there anyone here who has had any experience with this group?? Also, between all the companies, I've seen prices (minus flights) anywhere from $1500 - $4500+. It seems they all offer the same/similar things, so why is there such a large discrepancy (I'm assuming company location plays a large role)? I'm definitely on a budget, but at the same time I don't want to sacrifice quality/safety just to save a few bucks. Anyway, any feedback is greatly appreciated!
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Island Peak/EBC

Post by davebks »

Hi there, welcome! I am pretty sure that if you search my name you will find a ton of stuff about this trip. I did it two years ago and it was the greatest trip I have ever taken, and a perfect way to experience going above 6000M.
I used this company:
http://www.himalayanexpeditions.com/can ... nepal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and had an amazing trip!! I am from the US, and they are a Canadian company, but that didn't matter at all. We had a small group, amazing amazing guides, and a safe wonderful experience on the peak. I am actually leaving for another climbing trip to Peru in a week, but when I get back I am happy to answer any questions you might have. I left Oct 2 on my trip. I liked it because we had a lot less crowds than what I saw coming in as we were ending our trip.

anyway, best of luck planning. Do this trip. It will be the greatest experience of your life. I will NEVER forget hiking up Kala Patthar listening to some killer tunes with Everest and Nuptse over my shoulder.
Magical