Horton the Quandary Dog Dies After a Full Climbing Life

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Re: Horton the Quandary Dog Dies After a Full Climbing Life

Post by Greenhouseguy »

I was honored to meet Horton in March 2007; he found a good stick to carry with him on the hike. What a great life he must have led!

Horton greeting Astrobassman
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
Alby426
14ers: 33 
13ers: 38 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Alby426 »

I am very sad to hear the news. He was a great dog and climbed a couple of times with him.

He will live on in our hearts forever !!!!
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

I never met Horton and after hearing about him I am sure I missed out on something special. Condolences to those who knew him best.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
zeno39
14ers: 31 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zeno39 »

Climbed with Horton last March, Happy Trails my friend!
ex-coloradan
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ex-coloradan »

I was just at Quandary on February, I saw Horton but he was too busy running around to climb that day. Sorry to hear about him passing away.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Cool stories about a cool dog. His spirit will always be on that peak.
This thread should go to the Climber Memorial section, because Horton, Man's Best Friend, was a climber at heart.
Peace Horton...
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Very sad day for the CO 14er community. Heck with a plaque, Rename the mountain... "Quandary" can't be sentimental to anyone, right? Any being that climbs something ~ 1,000 times should have an eternal stamp on it.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

d_baker wrote:This thread should go to the Climber Memorial section, because Horton, Man's Best Friend, was a climber at heart.
I second this motion, for the reason above as well as the fact that he's probably (unknowingly) climbed with more members of this forum than anybody else here has.
Tempelton
14ers: 52 
13ers: 92
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Tempelton »

It was great to hike with you once, Horton. RIP.
Frontrangeskier
14ers: 54  8  1 
13ers: 83 16
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Frontrangeskier »

Take a break now Horton. You earned it. Thanks for breaking trail for me on a stormy winter ascent last winter. RIP
AnnieUpHigh
14ers: 35 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AnnieUpHigh »

My first 14er was Quandary in 2006 and Horton brushed/zoomed past me about halfway up the east face. I was so excited to see him, and knew who he was from reading Quandary trip reports before making the climb. My two partners that day, never having heard of Horton, were totally confused when I said, "OMG it's Horton!" Why would a girl from Ohio know this dog? At the top, Horton came over to where we sat, welcoming us to his mountain. Made my first summit even more memorable. RIP Horton.
Last edited by AnnieUpHigh on Sun May 01, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

R.I.P. Horton. Wish I would could have met you. I hope you enjoy doggie heaven.