Horton the Quandary Dog Dies After a Full Climbing Life

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Horton the Quandary Dog Dies After a Full Climbing Life

Post by timstich »

Those of you that ran into Horton on Quandary will remember him:

http://climbing.about.com/b/2011/04/29/ ... g-life.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlw49
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Horton the Quandary Dog Dies After a Full Climbing Life

Post by rlw49 »

Thanks for the post. Never met him, but enjoyed reading about his exploits. ...and he never carried the "Ten Essentials"
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

I went through some old pictures I had from a winter ascent up Quandary in 2004 with some friends. I remembered a yellow lab hanging out with us on the descent and getting in some of our pictures. Not knowing his story (at the time) we looked for his owners, when he suddenly ran off with some other dog. We assumed that was his family and continued on. Low and behold, it was indeed Horton in our pictures. What an awesome dog.

Time to rest now our canine friend.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

This winter we saw Horton at the trailhead after a climb. We noticed his eyes looked better than before which made us wonder if he was still climbing as much. He lived a full life and will be remembered as a Colorado mountain legend. My condolences to Horton’s family and friends.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
LupinMorningwake
14ers: 18 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LupinMorningwake »

We never had the chance to meet Horton but will carry on with his spirit in each of our ascents. Sending many licks of sympathy to his owners, he sounded like a great dog. Here's to thinking that Horton is chasing the great tennis ball in the sky.
Last edited by LupinMorningwake on Tue May 03, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Nawang Gombu, Erhard Loretan, and now Horton. It's been a tough week for climbing legends.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Frontrangeskier
14ers: 54  8  1 
13ers: 83 16
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Frontrangeskier »

RIP Horton.
mtnview
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mtnview »

Enjoyed meeting you Horton. Maybe we'll see you in the millenniel kingdom.

Rom 8:22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
Rom 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

Horton, the legend, will be missed.

I think the pics from Chris Davenport's ski trip show just how great Horton was!

http://www.skithe14ers.com/p-quandary-peak.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells
bblack99
14ers: 9 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by bblack99 »

Shoot! Quandary was in my line-up for this July and I was hoping Horton might cross my path along the way. As a proud owner of a Golden Retriever for the last 8 years, I can't imagine being without the pup. Hope his family is doing well!
gearhunter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gearhunter »

I agree with the comments on the article. That dog deserves a plaque at the trailhead.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

My own yellow lab is getting an extra hug tonight. RIP Horton. :( You brought joy to all who met you on the trail, including myself.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."