Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Neal Beidleman of Aspen returns to Everest

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Neal Beidleman of Aspen returns to Everest

Postby sad2 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:01 am

Finally Ready to Confront Everest After Fatal Climb of ’96

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/sports/17climber.html?ref=sports

Neal Beidleman has tried to outrun his association with Everest. But the mountain, he said, was “stapled and tattooed on my forehead.” It was perhaps inevitable, then, that one day he would return.

Beidleman and the three other members of his team will make their way from Katmandu to Everest’s South Side base camp.
Beidleman was serving as a guide under Scott Fischer in May 1996 when a raging storm overtook two climbing teams high on the mountain. Five climbers on the teams died, including Fischer, who led one team, and Rob Hall, who led the other. In all, eight climbers died during the storm, a story chronicled by Jon Krakauer in his best-selling book “Into Thin Air.”

“It’s not like I dread talking about it; it’s not taboo,” Beidleman, 51, said last month before leaving for Katmandu, Nepal, to begin what he hopes will be a successful climb of Everest. “But when I reflect back, it doesn’t give me a warm feeling. It’s not something I’m necessarily proud of.”

Read full story by clicking on the above link

Re: Neal Beidleman of Aspen returns to Everest

Postby ChrisFol » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:53 am

sad2 wrote:Finally Ready to Confront Everest After Fatal Climb of ’96

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/sports/17climber.html?ref=sports

Neal Beidleman has tried to outrun his association with Everest. But the mountain, he said, was “stapled and tattooed on my forehead.” It was perhaps inevitable, then, that one day he would return.

Beidleman and the three other members of his team will make their way from Katmandu to Everest’s South Side base camp.
Beidleman was serving as a guide under Scott Fischer in May 1996 when a raging storm overtook two climbing teams high on the mountain. Five climbers on the teams died, including Fischer, who led one team, and Rob Hall, who led the other. In all, eight climbers died during the storm, a story chronicled by Jon Krakauer in his best-selling book “Into Thin Air.”

Thank you for posting this, I actually finished (last night) watching the Frontline special "Storm Over Everest" which chronicles and interviews the people involved in this storm May 1996. FWIW, this is available to watch instantly via Netflix for those interested.

The article above is also a nice read.
-Chris

Postby gonzalj » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:04 am

Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I'm actually reading into thin Air right now (just started) and I'll have to watch that show afterwards. Best to Neal on his endeavours and a safe return.

Postby tmahon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:21 am

You can follow the progress on Dav's site, http://chrisdavenport.com/news/

Postby JohnWilliams » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:14 pm

AWESOME!!! good for Neal and Dave! Best of luck to ya both!!!!
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins