Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Android App Beta Testing Thread

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Site Administrator

Re: Android App Beta Testing Thread

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:24 pm

ktn44 wrote:Just found one more thing, when opening an overview map and zooming in and out it says "tip: double tap to zoom in and out". This doesn't work, at least on my MyTouch 4G. Double tapping the map does nothing. Not a big deal but an unnecessary tip...

Kayne

Ditto
Only SNOW will end the madness

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:30 pm

I just noticed a few of the beta testers are still using the app version prior to what Nathan released this morning. If you want to get some of the latest updates/fixes, you'll need to go back out and get the app file again and install it using Nathan's instructions.

Thanks!

Postby Nathan Hale » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:26 pm

skier0284 wrote:2. From my brief time playing with the app thus far I have one item on the "wish list." If there was a page with simple "check mark boxes" to select and un-select for those peak-route combos that you wanted to make available offline. It would be great for someone going on multi-day trip to select a few peaks/route combos to download before heading out and then be able to delete that "data" upon return so it is not clogging up storage on the phone.

I think that having some sort of "offline cache manager" screen from which you could easily delete all of your saved pictures would be a good feature, and I've added it my list of features for version 2.0. I'm less keen on being able to quickly download multiple routes at a time, because I think that having people go to each route page encourages them to research the route a bit before heading out, which I think is valuable and may prevent newbies from accidentally setting out on a difficult route without realizing it.

ktn44 wrote:when opening an overview map and zooming in and out it says "tip: double tap to zoom in and out". This doesn't work, at least on my MyTouch 4G. Double tapping the map does nothing. Not a big deal but an unnecessary tip...

That's an annoying one, and I've seen it too, though rarely. This isn't something that I'm showing, it's another thing that the system is doing for me. The long term fix is to switch away from using the webview for displaying those images, but that's a longer term fix.

And just to reiterate what Bill said above, be sure to download the latest version of the app (it was updated on the FTP this morning around 6:30am) to get the latest features and bug fixes. There will be another version over the weekend with a couple more fixes.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com

Postby spaceman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:37 pm

HTC Droid Eris

I think I got the new one installed, is there a way to check? The version shows 1.0 still.

When I view a picture on any of the routes, the zoom buttons at the bottom cover up most of the caption so it is difficult to read what the picture is of.

Thanks
Derek

Postby Markwise » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm not sure if this fits with the purpose of the App, but another helpful feature would be to provide links within the app back to the 14ers.com website. I'm picturing people who would eventually grab this app from the Android Market with little-to-no-knowledge of 14ers.com. Links directing them to the full website, particularly for the Forum and for Trip Reports could be helpful?

Mark

Postby flintster » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Played with the app at the airport yesterday and my flight home. Downloaded this mornings update and it resolved the issues I had seen. Droid x 2.2.1. My primary suggestion for offline use (of pictures) is when I select a photo and it opens....then let the user swipe left and right to view other photos instead of hitting back and selecting the next photo. 1swipe instead of a button/tap/page load.

Also on the droid x android 2.2.1., the photos and maps (any image) doesn't really fit. I know the native resolution of course doesn't match a phone but a "fit to screen" would be real nice. Found myself having to really screw with the photos to see the whole thing.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:21 pm

Markwise wrote:I'm not sure if this fits with the purpose of the App, but another helpful feature would be to provide links within the app back to the 14ers.com website. I'm picturing people who would eventually grab this app from the Android Market with little-to-no-knowledge of 14ers.com. Links directing them to the full website, particularly for the Forum and for Trip Reports could be helpful?

Mark

Good point. Links could be included on the HELP/ABOUT page and maybe a "Visit 14ers.com" link at the bottom of the main screen or as a button below the others.

Postby bblack99 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:26 pm

Markwise wrote:Moto Droid
A feature I was thinking about this morning that would seem really helpful is to allow you to see the Trailhead locations on a Google Map that would then let you use Google's Navigation App to plot your route to the TH. A link from each Trailhead page to see that particular TH on a Google Map might be one place to try this?

Just got home from work and downloaded the new version. It's been running very smoothly today on my HTC EVO, but I thought I'd echo Mark's comment. If I go pull up a google map, then tap directions, the default "End Point:" option is the full URL instead of a specific set of coordinates (which makes sense, because it's a route, right?). I noticed that in route descriptions, every pair of coordinates show a little Google place/waypoint icon, but that doesn't seem actionable. Would it be possible to make these jump to Google Maps with point coordinates? It probably doesn't make much sense once you leave your car, but it would be great en route to the TH.

Things are looking good! I got the double-tap to zoom tip as well, but it's just a little nuisance, no big deal. For those of you fighting the new picture sizes, what orientation are you reading pages in? I've noticed that the pictures (almost all of them) look far better in landscape orientation than portrait.

Postby areed20 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:51 pm

I downloaded the updated version. I just found one quick issue. I was on the MT. Bross West Slopes route description page and I went to the Google Maps link. After I was done I hit back on my Driod and got a message that said "error cannot load route data" when I tried to get back to the route description screen.

EDIT: I was not on TH page I was one of the routes for Mt. Bross when it did that.

Postby harrise » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:13 pm

bblack99 wrote:For those of you fighting the new picture sizes, what orientation are you reading pages in? I've noticed that the pictures (almost all of them) look far better in landscape orientation than portrait.

I'm getting a picture about 25% larger than screen size in both orientations. Not a big thing, but I like to have the pic and caption all visible when tapped. Then I have to zoom out for the complete sentence to display. Only about 15 minutes into the new version...

When I start the offline loading in wifi and get out of range the downloading stops (obviously), then get no prompts to resume. Without data the only way I would find out is once I tap the next picture and get the "image not currently available" message (because the thumbnails are still there). The status bar icon stating that "10 of 21" downloaded successfully lasts only a few seconds.

Postby jagiammaria » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:16 am

So far the only issues I have noticed have already been posted about, but I'll keep on trying to find some. It really is a great app!

Postby Magnum420 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:43 pm

Same here. Looks great!
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

PreviousNext