More info...

Other ways to help...

Android App Beta Testing Thread

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Site Administrator

Re: Android App Beta Testing Thread

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:07 am

Nathan,
FYI, here's the wording of the messages that I get... In airplane mode I always get "Error loading trailhead conditions: Couldn't parse XML Data: <6>" when trying to load TH conditions and "Couldn't load peak conditions: Network connection error <6>" when loading peak conditions.

More importantly, I just noticed that if I'm online and download TH conditions and then switch to airplane mode and hit "Refresh TH Conditions," I get the network error but, more importantly, it removes the old condition entries that were displayed. Is there a way to only clear that area if you get a valid response from XML? That way we can have the TH/Peak conditions in cache until there's a valid update?
Bill
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:18 am

And I'm just quoting your last post so it's more visible this morning...
Nathan Hale wrote:All,

There is an updated version on the FTP now that corrects a couple of issues, most notably the cancelling of a photo download. It doesn't address the fact that a download that is stopped by enabling airplane mode sort of goes into no man's land yet, but that may be an android issue since the system is not registering an error that I can use to fail the download.

I changed a couple of other cosmetic things as well, but the download thread is the big one. Bill updated the size of the maps last night at my suggestion, so try a few out and see if you think they're too big/too slow or if they improve things. The most drastically changed one was the Routes Overview Map on each Peak Page.

If anyone saw my post from last night and installed the version that I had up between about 10pm last night and about 6:30 this morning, then you'll want to re-install because there was a nasty bug in that one which Bill found.

Addressing some other issues:

TeamDino5280 wrote:The first thing that I have found is on the overview TOPO maps and the "TOPO Map" option under peak details. When I try to zoom in with my fingers to see the detail, the map "jumps" to the far left side of the map. I tried this on a couple different maps with the same result.

This is due to the size of the maps, and the way that the web browser (which is how those pictures are rendered) handles images that are smaller than the view. The increase in map size may impact this a bit, let me know.

bblack99 wrote:I think there's a space missing under Section 2 (Copyright) between "of" and "14ers.com" in the last sentence.

Fixed. Good catch! Hopefully everyone will read that stuff as carefully as you did.

On any trailhead page, the question mark next to "Road Difficulty" is a nice popup and I understand the screen real estate concerns, but would it be possible to pop up all of the difficulties instead of just 0 and 6? Touristy types might be most concerned with the dividing line between 2WD and 4WD, but the first line under Road Info defines the actual difficulty of the road. This same situation occurs with the help text on "Exposure" on a route page.

This is a good point, I'll try some different wordings to see how it looks in terms of screen real estate.

Back on the trailhead page Torreys Peak > Grays Peak Trailhead > Load Trailhead conditions worked beautifully, but when I went to Refresh Conditions Reports, I got an error:
Code: Select all
Error loading trailhead conditions: Couldn't parse XML Data: <2>

Hitting Load again brought the conditions back up, but hitting Refresh again brought back the error (though momentarily) before refreshing.

I've seen this error occasionally as well, but you're the second tester to encounter it so it might be more common than I thought. I'll try to investigate the cause a bit more, but when I've seen it it's always been an error with the xml parser within android, so I'm not sure how much I can do. But I'll check into it.

Postby Markwise » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:40 am

Moto Droid

Love the app so far. I've not encountered any problems in terms of bugs. I've been trying to break it going through every which page and switching back and forth to airplane mode, but experience has been good.

More of my contemplations have been on the feature request area. A feature I was thinking about this morning that would seem really helpful is to allow you to see the Trailhead locations on a Google Map that would then let you use Google's Navigation App to plot your route to the TH. A link from each Trailhead page to see that particular TH on a Google Map might be one place to try this? Or to make a master map of TH's as was done with the Peaks themselves on the app's main page is another possibility. To be able to visualize all the possible trailheads in a particular area might be beneficial. Just a few thoughts.

And thanks for all the hard work put into this! It looks and it works fantastic.

Postby summitbound » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:55 am

htc thunderbolt

When viewing Blanca peak and selecting the Blanca Ellingwood (combo) route, then hitting Google maps the topo comes up but the route overlay does not.

Similar with D/L/B combo route (selected from any of the peaks pages) select Google maps, topo comes up but no route overlay

Also ran through every trail head status and hit "update" I encountered the unable to parse data error 3 times. Going back and refreshing fixed it each time.

Again Nathan..outstanding app :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:06 am

summitbound wrote:htc thunderbolt

When viewing Blanca peak and selecting the Blanca Ellingwood (combo) route, then hitting Google maps the topo comes up but the route overlay does not.

Similar with D/L/B combo route (selected from any of the peaks pages) select Google maps, topo comes up but no route overlay

That's partly a 14ers.com data issue since a .GPX file is not available on all 14ers.com routes (like the Blanca/Ellingwood route). For the Bross/Linc/Came/Demo route, the file is out there, but maybe I'm not passing it through the app data feed - I'll check.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:28 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
summitbound wrote:htc thunderbolt

That's partly a 14ers.com data issue since a .GPX file is not available on all 14ers.com routes (like the Blanca/Ellingwood route). For the Bross/Linc/Came/Demo route, the file is out there, but maybe I'm not passing it through the app data feed - I'll check.

I did confirm that I'm sending the .GPX file (which generates the colored route line in Google Maps) through the app/XML feed on most combination routes (decalibron, eldi/mt.wils, etc.) but they are not showing up in Google Maps through the Android app. So, I'll pass this one to Nathan...

Postby Nathan Hale » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:12 am

The topo overlays come from the google maps part of the feed, not the .gpx file. It looks like the google maps link for the Decalibron (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=39.330978,-106.092911&spn=0.082058,0.181274&t=p&z=13&s=AARTsJpnOA3ioEtcI9rx_v7gyZqlolGTYw) doesn't include a route overlay.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:23 am

Ohh, SNAP!!

Of course, you're right and I'll check it out when I get home in a bit.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:16 am

Ok, the combo route issue was not an issue - just coincidence because I hadn't updated Google Maps for some combo routes.

I just added the Demo/Cam/Linc/Bros map and a few others but will have to add more later as there are plenty of alternate routes missing a route line when the user clicks the GOOGLE MAP button within the app. Sometimes you'll get an error saying it couldn't be loaded or you'll get into GMaps and not see a route line. I just have to get the rest of them on the site so they are passed to the Android app. Not a problem in the app...

Postby skier0284 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Droid Incredible

I love my technology but am far from being a programmer or writer of apps so this is more from a user functionality perspective.

1. The app is snappy on my droid incredible here in Denver. Pics and maps load much faster than some of my other apps.

2. From my brief time playing with the app thus far I have one item on the "wish list." If there was a page with simple "check mark boxes" to select and un-select for those peak-route combos that you wanted to make available offline. It would be great for someone going on multi-day trip to select a few peaks/route combos to download before heading out and then be able to delete that "data" upon return so it is not clogging up storage on the phone. As I mentioned above, my ability to speak "tech" is highly minimal so this is only from a functionality perspective. Overall I am highly impressed with the work and plan on playing with it extensively over the coming days.

Thanks!

Postby ktn44 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:14 pm

So far I have had no issues that others haven't mentioned. Great app so far, it's going to be very handy. One feature request though would be the ability to copy/cut text (gps coordinates, trailhead names, whatever) from the route info, so it can be googled/mapped/etc. using other apps on the phone. I think this is fairly important for any app and will be especially handy here.

Thanks and again, nice work!

Postby ktn44 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:24 pm

Just found one more thing, when opening an overview map and zooming in and out it says "tip: double tap to zoom in and out". This doesn't work, at least on my MyTouch 4G. Double tapping the map does nothing. Not a big deal but an unnecessary tip...

Kayne

PreviousNext