Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Leavick

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Leavick

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:50 pm

Re: Leavick

Postby Presto » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:19 am

After all these years, it continues to amaze me how time stands still in the mountains ... decades go by and some things just never change. We first climbed Sherman back in 1984 (only to return many times to climb it again and its neighbors) ... I remember that structure (among others). Jim, you sure have a talent of bringing the life and color and artistry out in something as simple as an old building. Good work, my friend.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby ClimbandMine » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:45 pm

That area is one of my favorites - the mining history, the Horseshoe Peak bowl ... just a cool place...

I don't care that you Tele.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Have had many memorable experiences in and around Leavick. ClimbandMine's post brings to memory another feature in the area - Horseshoe Mountain. Last summer a thread was started with some beautiful photography of this mountain - go to the 13ers board and scout for this fine thread.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby kimo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:18 pm

Got crazy with the Nik filters tonight. After converting to B&W, and then applying the tonal contrast, dark and lighten center, skylight, vignette, and film grain filters, this catastrophe emerged...

leavick.jpg
leavick.jpg (345.31 KiB) Viewed 1137 times

Postby Jesse Peterson » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Cool shots. They tell quite a story. Every time I walk around those buildings I am careful not to sneeze...
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:10 pm

kimo wrote:Got crazy with the Nik filters tonight. After converting to B&W, and then applying the tonal contrast, dark and lighten center, skylight, vignette, and film grain filters, this catastrophe emerged...

leavick.jpg

That's quite an artistic catastrophe, Kimo!

Postby kimo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks Jim. I'd apply one filter, then another, then another, and it felt like too much (and looked like a train wreck) but the final filter - film grain of all things - really made that image. It combined all the elements into a cohesive whole like cement (and it kind of resembles the surface of cement too). I don't know - five filters applied randomly with reckless abandon should be a catastrophe but in this case...turned out kinda cool.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:31 pm

kimo wrote:Thanks Jim. I'd apply one filter, then another, then another, and it felt like too much (and looked like a train wreck) but the final filter - film grain of all things - really made that image. It combined all the elements into a cohesive whole like cement (and it kind of resembles the surface of cement too). I don't know - five filters applied randomly with reckless abandon should be a catastrophe but in this case...turned out kinda cool.

Experimentation with an eye toward artistic outcome... what's to lose? This shot is beautiful, Kimo.

BTW - a few more Leavick shots in the TR that just went up tonight...

-Jim