Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

San Luis April 9-10

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: San Luis April 9-10

Postby Rastaman566 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:01 am

+1 on the carpool from the Springs if Sunday ends up being the day of the climb

Postby dmccool » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:21 am

Yes, carpool it will be. Looks like there's a decent size group coming from both Denver and the Springs. Maybe we can all meet down in the Springs on Saturday and pile in gear and bodies to as few cars as possible.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:57 am

Can someone provide an estimate of the round-trip distance of the hike from near the West Willow Creek TH, specifically how far up is the snow closure, how far could one reasonably expect to drive with AWD vehicle? I may be able to drive myself +3 from Denver and would NOT like to end the weekend with a $500+ towing bill.

Thanks!
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby dmccool » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:06 am

B-Thom wrote:Can someone provide an estimate of the round-trip distance of the hike from near the West Willow Creek TH, specifically how far up is the snow closure, how far could one reasonably expect to drive with AWD vehicle? I may be able to drive myself +3 from Denver and would NOT like to end the weekend with a $500+ towing bill.

Thanks!

As of Feb. 12,

"Forest Service Road 504/503 is plowed all the way to the Equity Mine. Snow on the west side is consolidated spring snowpack, skiing was great (and continuous from the summit down the North Yawner Gully). North aspects around timberline are sugary, deep, slabby and prone to sinking. This is mostly in dense woods so it‘s relatively safe, if annoying. Take skis or BIG snowshoes. I can‘t speak to conditions across the slopes around/south of Point 12,562, as we skirted around it to the north. "

If this is still true, it might add about 1 mile each way. Don't quote me though.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Adding this mostly useless post to let everyone know I'm still interested. Boom.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Blanca/Ellingwood 9-10 - *updated*

Postby dmccool » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:14 am

This San Luis trip has now changed due to poor conditions in the San Juans.

We have a group of 5 (SurfNTurf, EatinHardtack, ChrisFol, B-Thom, and myself) heading to Lake Como Saturday morning (4/9). We'll hike in for a base camp near the lake and attempt Blanca/Ellingwood early Sunday morning (4/10). If anyone is interested in joining up, please feel free.

Right now, we have one vehicle (room for 1 more) coming from Denver and one from Colorado Springs with room for 2 more. We plan to get to the Como Road turnoff sometime between 11:30am and 12:30pm.

Dan

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Previous