Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Returning to 14ers from back surgery, need climbing partner

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Returning to 14ers from back surgery, need climbing partner

Postby pcorchary » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Hello all. Was a novice who completed 10 summits in 2007-2008 (and one in 2009 only due to time limitations). In Jan 2010 I had a 2-level lumbar microdiscectomy due to old injuries that resulted in 80% loss of strength in my right leg. I'm now back up to about 80% strength, and my balance is pretty good, and want to try a 14er ASAP and hopefully more this summer.

Unfortunately my usual climbing associate moved to Idaho this winter ... so I'm looking to make a connection with someone (male or female) that would be interested in trying a climb with me. Before my injury I think I did pretty well overall for a 40yo in moderate shape. I'm very competitive and push myself as hard as I'm able. At this point I just don't know what the results are going to be. I may do very well, or I may not make it 1/2 way. I've done all the close peaks except for Evans (failed solo attempt in 2009) except for Longs and Pikes which I was going to save for much later after I had more experience. I'd also be open to trying a 13er, but I don't know them very well. Have done a little hiking in Indian Peaks.

I'm open to just about any arrangement that works for my schedule, which is usually Saturday or Sunday AM, but with notice I could arrange a work day, which could be very nice as I enjoy less crowded hikes (thus the need for a partner ... I tried that in TenMile and nearly killed my self trying a very difficult solo on a weekday with no one on the mtn., so will not try something that fooling again).

Would like to chat in IM, mail or phone with someone perhaps to discuss more. Phil pcdvco@gmail.com. Thanks for taking the time to read! :)

Re: Returning to 14ers from back surgery, need climbing partner

Postby gonzalj » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:42 pm

Hey Phil,

While I haven't done a winter/spring 14er yet and I'm thinking about doing one soon. I plan on going to the 14ers.com gathering in May by winfield and trying to tackle Belford & Oxford, but sooner on the agenda is James Peak this Sunday (a 13er) by St. Mary's glacier. A number of people from here and I are going to snowshoe it if you would like to join, but as summer comes I intend on doing a bunch. Some of the ones on the list are evans (from summit lake), the decalibron, sherman, princeton, shav/tab, massive, uncompahgre, handies, sunshine/redcloud and then later in the summer (maybe late august/september) thinking about sneffels, castle & holy cross.

Postby pcorchary » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:15 am

Hmmm. I have also never done a winter/spring 14er or 13er, and honestly, I've never snowshoed :) ... not sure if that sounds do-able or not for me :)
I also guess I'm a little out-of-the-loop. Is there a link WRT to this May 14er group meeting you alluded to? Thanks again!

Postby Jeff_F » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:50 pm

Yea mang, I live close by in Broomfield and am looking for hike partners. I have plans for a bunch of 14ers and 13ers this year that I hope I can complete at least most of them. Some close by and others further in SJs and Elks. Always nice to have a companion for company and share gas costs in this crazy world.

Cheers,
Jeff
The mountains are calling and I must go.
- - John Muir

Postby winmag4582001 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:03 pm

I live in north Thornton. My son and I usally hike on saturdays or sundays and will start in May. We have 21 peaks over 13k' set as goals for 2011.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby Jeff_F » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:49 am

Def keep me informed too as I plan for many peaks of the same. Most my hikes will be Sat/Sun with possible hike in/out on Fri or Mon.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
- - John Muir

Postby Kzar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:42 pm

Pcorchary welcome to the club. I've had two back surgeries, both were laminectomies, and both were very successful. The first one was the best thing I ever did. Felt like I was 18 again. Second one cured another bulging disc that got worse 4 years after the 1st one was corrected.

Anyways, feel free to PM me if you need a partner. My original climbing partners have petered out over the years. I've done all the 14ers but still like to get out every summer and bag a few summits. Can do one day trips to the local peaks (e.g. Sawatch) or willing to do some of the more fun summits farther away (Bells, San Juan, Sangre de Cristos).

I'm thinking of doing the spring fling or whatever it is called as well. Maybe I'll see ya there.
It's not the years in your life, but the life in your years.