Nepal trekking

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kpyle1
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Nepal trekking

Post by kpyle1 »

We are planning a trip to Nepal, hope someone has some recent experience on a trip to Katmandu and the region. Know of decent, cheap hotels while there? Also recommendations on guide companies? suggestion I see the most is just show up and arrange a trip once we've arrived... What about the trip to Everest Base Camp vs other hikes in Annapura? Worth going to Everest beyond the name? I"m targeting early October
Thanks Ken
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Nepal trekking

Post by davebks »

Hey Ken, I did a great trek two years ago in October. We did the EBC trek, plus Kala Patthar and Island Peak. I used this group, http://www.himalayanexpeditions.com/can ... _base.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My friend had used them a few years before and both of us had a great experience. Small groups too.

I am happy to share more info on the trip if you want. Just hit me up. You can also email those guys if you want. I can give you my contact there. He was REALLY helpful.

p.s. this was the best trip I have ever taken
sstratta
14ers: 57  11  14 
13ers: 121 11 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sstratta »

I'm also planning a trip for October/November, thinking about the Annapurna region and 1 or two of the "trekking peaks". I'll be going solo though (and I'm a girl), so I've got to do a lot more planning to figure out guides/porters/etc. I just started reading the book "trekking in Nepal" by Bezruchka, it's got a lot of great info. Also, here's a good website: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/f ... ywordid=68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I also got some helpful info on summitpost.org in their forum.
areed20
14ers: 50  5  8 
13ers: 74 7 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by areed20 »

I did the Annapurna base camp trek last May. We used Friends Adventure Team. I would highly recommend them. If you want more details about the trek that we did just PM me and I can give you more details and pictures. Friends Adventure Team is run by Rajendra Lama. He is an excellent guide and has quite the supporting team. It is a great company that is family owned.
jmibarra
Trip Reports (9)

Post by jmibarra »

sstratta wrote:I'm also planning a trip for October/November, thinking about the Annapurna region and 1 or two of the "trekking peaks". I'll be going solo though (and I'm a girl), so I've got to do a lot more planning to figure out guides/porters/etc. I just started reading the book "trekking in Nepal" by Bezruchka, it's got a lot of great info. Also, here's a good website: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/f ... ywordid=68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I also got some helpful info on summitpost.org in their forum.

im also really contemplating a solo trip out there in october as well, just need to save up enough money. ive just now started researching and may be asking you a few questions in the future on what you have read/learned so far. hope your planning goes well! -justin
The goal isn't ski the mountains, nor to climb the mountains. Rather the goal is to be admitted by the mountain, to become one, to coexist. In those moments you will find peace, you will find happiness. In those moments you will find your reward.
dustysdad
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dustysdad »

My wife & I spent a month in Nepal in 1999. I know that's ancient history, but some things never really change. Beautiful country, very nice, genuine people, travel there is a wonderful experience regardless if you climb, trek, raft, kayak, whatever. A few suggestions:
1. Lonely Planet is worth its weight in gold. Gives great advice, references on hotels, eating, info on history, culture, etc. Worth the read in advance of your trip.
2. Kathmandu Guest House has a board where people leave notes looking for climbing and/or trekking partners. You can browse there, post, or find someone looking to do the same trek as you might be.
3. http://drift-nepal.com/trekking/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Drift Nepal is a rafting company that also has connections for trekking and/or climbing. Did a kayaking trip with them, great people. They're maybe a 5 or 10 minute walk from Kathmandu Guest House.
4. Colorado Mtn Club has adventure travel trips to Nepal. I've been on several CMC adventure travel trips; well organized & I highly recommend them.
5. Airfare to Nepal should be your biggest expense. Nepal itself is very inexpensive; it is one of the poorest countries in the world.
6. You can safely trek without a guide. However, a guide obtained there is very helpful. They can give you info on history, culture, etc. and of course they speak the language. Most people working in tourism over there know passable English.
7. Don't bother with advance hotel reservations. Just look around, ask other travelers for advice. Rooms are inexpensive and plentiful.

Nepal is a wonderful place to visit. We did an 8 day trek along the Kali Gandaki River. Also 4 days of boating. And, Chitwan National Park is worth the 3 day visit. If you have a bit of extra time, it's very easy to arrange everything once you get to Kathmandu. And much less expensive than booking from the USA, where you'll wind up paying western guide rates and probably at least a portion of their airfare.
lazy climber
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazy climber »

I was in Nepal 2 years ago. we used a Nepali Guide Service, Ang Rita Trekking and I would use them for future trips and highly recommend them. I have a daughter who lived in KTM for a year and did several treks with friends without a guide/porters and she did the trip where used Ang Rita, she said that you can do it by yourself but using a guide and Porters makes it a lot more enjoyable. Go to Trekinfo.com, this website has a lot of good information.

The guides walk with you and you have all day to visit, the porters already have your lunch ordered for you at lunch time as well as your bags in your "room" at the end of the day when you arrive at the teahouse, they figure out what you like to eat and drink and have "snack and drinks" waiting for you at the end of the day, they help with getting your water sorted out, offer health advice, in general they are worth what ever you pay them, which is not much in the larger scope of things. For example, 8 of us did a 17day trek which included Island peak for just under $1300 each. This included flights from KTM to Luka, lodging, food, porters and guide. Tips were extra. So as someone said, the flight is the most expensive $1800-$2000 from the west coast so the extra you pay for guides and porters will just make th etrip that much more pleasant. You may spend 30-40% more using a guide but you are putting $$$ back into the economy. At first I was hesitant about paying someone to haul my stuff, but that is what they do for a lliving and for them it is a fairly good living.

There is a bit of cost using guides but they do really take care of you as well as allow you to get a better view of the people and country. There is a differnce between guided and non guided trekkers once you get to the tea houses, those with guides get better service and it seemed to me the people running the teahouse acted differently toward us than the non guided trekkers. Since there were 8 of us ( 4 teenagers) and we moved fairly well we usually ended our days early so had time to read or play games at the teahouses, it did not take long till our guides and a couple of the porters were sitting and playing cards/dice with us every afternoon before dinner. After dinner everyone would go to bed aroung 7PM, leaving the guides and porters to eat and visit, my daughter and I usually stayed up as long as we could and were invited into the circle around the stove with the guides/portes to visit as best we could in our liimited knowledge of each others language. I did not ever see any of the non guided trekkers do that, maybe we were just different but you really get to know your guides this way.

My daughter was teaching school so had to stay in Nepal about a month after our trek, once school was finished and she was ready to leave Nepal the Head Guide from our trek picked her up where she was living and had her stay at their house for a couple days till her flight left and then took her to the airport. How many North American or European Guide Services would do that?

In my opinion, pay the extra few 100 dollars, get a guide and porter, the experience is worth it. Go with a well known local service, all the money stays in Nepal.

You can find all kinds of places to stay in KTM for all kinds of prices you really do not need a resevation but I would book in advance. we stayed at the Kathmandu Guest House, I would stay there again. I did see several walkins get turned away because they did not have reservations.

Be crefull what you eat and drink, several of our group got REALLY sick and it does put a damper on the trip till you recover.

If you have time go to the places dustydad suggested.
kpyle1
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kpyle1 »

This is a few days late, as had a health issue with a parent that took all our attention, but I did want to take the opportunity to thank everyone for your input/insight. Very helpful and I do appreciate it. Gives me some good direction on finalizing the trip
Thanks so much
Ken