Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Challenger/Kit Carson early next week

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Challenger/Kit Carson early next week

Postby oldschool » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Heading to do Challenger/Kit Carson on Mon/Tues. Plan on hiking in and camping at Willow Lake then tagging both summits next day. Might hike out same day or stay one more night..will see. Anyone wanna go? Could be talked into Sun/Mon if that works better. Tuesday looks like a good weather day...so far!
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin

Re: Challenger/Kit Carson early next week

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:21 pm

oldschool wrote:Heading to do Challenger/Kit Carson on Mon/Tues. Plan on hiking in and camping at Willow Lake then tagging both summits next day. Might hike out same day or stay one more night..will see. Anyone wanna go? Could be talked into Sun/Mon if that works better. Tuesday looks like a good weather day...so far!

Interesting. What route(s) you looking at?

Postby oldschool » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Haven't made up my mind yet. Standard or N Ridge up Kit then over to Challenger via the Avenue then back down to the Lake. I'm open...any suggestions?
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Any guesses what the Ave looks like about now? I was thinking it would be a no-go. Had wanted to do the N Ridge this winter - was considering rapping the Prow, or downclimbing/rapping the ascent route. OBC might be another option for getting off. Just haven't been up there in winter - would be worth going for the recon if nothing else.

Postby oldschool » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:29 pm

Tmathews (Terry) told me to be careful on the Ave too. A recon may be what it turns out to be but I'm heading up anyway...only one way to find out.

Postby oldschool » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:16 am

Thank you.......I appreciate the help. Have fun, be safe.

Postby tmathews » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:45 am

I took this photo from low on Ellingwood's southeast ridge yesterday (over California Peak). Had I seen this thread earlier, I would have tried to get a better photo from the summit! Sorry, Mike!

03-2011crestones01.jpg
03-2011crestones01.jpg (205.12 KiB) Viewed 1282 times

At any rate, the avenue looks pretty snow-loaded as it usually is this time of year. Pickets/Anchors and ropes are usually a necessity. Here's a photo of what the avenue looks like with snow from one of SarahT's TR's.

Postby oldschool » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:50 am

Hey Terry...thx a bunch for the pics. I'm going with 2 axes and crampons so we will see how it all goes across the Avenue. Now if I just had someone to belay me! How was your climb yesterday?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Terry, love the picks, thanks for posting.

Mike, I'm so jealous. I so wish you had a belay - me! Be careful, be safe, have fun, get those two, and take lots of pictures on the scary parts.

Can't wait to see the TR!

:D

Jim

Postby MtHurd » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Great pics and lots of snow!

Postby benners » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:31 am

oldschool,

Did you end up heading in there? Looking for an update on snow conditions/coverage on KC/Challenger.

Thanks!

Postby oldschool » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:53 am

I did go in. Snow conditions are not real good for skiing. Not good coverage....blown out.

Next