Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Longs Peak on 03/19

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Longs Peak on 03/19

Postby nkan02 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:02 pm

Weather is supposed to be decent. High of 31-34F, mostly sunny. Windy, but not too bad. Anybody interested to take on Longs standard route via Keyhole? Preferably on Saturday.
Last edited by nkan02 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It has frequently been noticed that all mountains appear doomed to pass through the three stages: An inaccessible peak - The most difficult ascent in the Alps - An easy day for a lady. Albert Frederick Mummery, My Climbs in the Alps and Caucasus

Re: Longs Peak on 03/19-20

Postby Brian C » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:35 pm

After the 14ish inches of snow it's supposed to get tonight the ledges could be dicey. I've been there in crappy snow conditions and it's not fun. Be careful!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:12 pm

Brian C wrote:After the 14ish inches of snow it's supposed to get tonight the ledges could be dicey. I've been there in crappy snow conditions and it's not fun. Be careful!

I also believe it will be quite windy this weekend on Longs. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do it. In fact, I'll put this out right now - next really decent weather window, hit me up - anyone - we'll go get it. Just not in these conditions.

FWIW - a friend of an acquantance was on MLW the other day and got picked up and transported 50 feet by high winds. It's no joke, and the weatherman has not been so good at predicting correct wind speeds in the alpine this year, on the NOAA point forecasts. (GFS models for the 500mb heights have been much closer, FWIW.)

Postby nkan02 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
Brian C wrote:After the 14ish inches of snow it's supposed to get tonight the ledges could be dicey. I've been there in crappy snow conditions and it's not fun. Be careful!

I also believe it will be quite windy this weekend on Longs. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do it. In fact, I'll put this out right now - next really decent weather window, hit me up - anyone - we'll go get it. Just not in these conditions.

Jim, thanks for the input. I know winds are a huge concern on both Longs and Meaker. In fact, I was turned back last year on Meeker b/c of high winds. I was literaly lifted off the ground with backpack. I'll keep watching the weather and the winds to see if I can get maybe to Lady Washington or Keyhole this weekend. So, we'll see. Now it looks like I will only be able to go on Saturday.:(
It has frequently been noticed that all mountains appear doomed to pass through the three stages: An inaccessible peak - The most difficult ascent in the Alps - An easy day for a lady. Albert Frederick Mummery, My Climbs in the Alps and Caucasus

Postby Brian C » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:16 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:...next really decent weather window, hit me up - anyone - we'll go get it.

Jim - I'll head up the NF with you as soon as the weather holds. I'd like a weekend but would take a day off if the weather was super nice.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Brian C wrote:
Dancesatmoonrise wrote:...next really decent weather window, hit me up - anyone - we'll go get it.

Jim - I'll head up the NF with you as soon as the weather holds. I'd like a weekend but would take a day off if the weather was super nice.

Sounds good. Look forward to it.

Re: Longs Peak on 03/19

Postby jameseroni » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:15 pm

I would like to get in on this NF ascent. I could follow or be mid rope. No leading for me yet.

Postby Big Schwimm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:34 pm

I would also be down for the NF . . . been eyeing that one for awhile now. Please keep me in the loop!
The Mountains make us all feel small . . .

Postby nkan02 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:41 pm

Way too windy this weekend. Sunday - gusts up to 75pmh :shock:

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:25 pm

nkan02 wrote:Way too windy this weekend. Sunday - gusts up to 75pmh :shock:

nkan02, the noaa forecasts tend not to put the winds in until 12-36 hours before the event. Check the ucar site for 500mb and 700mb winds on the GFS or NAM models. Much more helpful- it's actually waht the forecasters use. (Not sure why they wait till near term....Maybe they're hopeful like us.)

Let's go get the NF on a nice spring day.

Jim

Postby Aaron2014 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:30 am

I've been wanting to do this route pretty bad. Keep me posted on your plans.