Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sherman Saturday 3/19

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Sherman Saturday 3/19

Postby jagiammaria » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:56 am

I'm planning on heading up Sherman this Saturday. I know it's kinda late notice, but wouldn't mind some company if anybody is interested.

Re: Sherman Saturday 3/19

Postby ljj1230 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:31 pm

I've been dying to do a winter climb but am a beginner. Interested in taking a newbie along lol?

Postby kushrocks » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:58 pm

What time are you guys thinking of starting on Saturday? What kind of foot gear are you bringing? I am interested cause I was going to do it with my girlfriend until she came down with a cold. I am interested though but still not sure if I can swing it.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby ljj1230 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:12 pm

Again...I am game...although a beginner. If you all don't mind taking me along I am up for the challenge. You can email me at ljackson@lrw-law.com

Postby jagiammaria » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:25 pm

I'm planning on starting around 7 (or at least getting as far up the road as possible by this time), and I'll just be on snowshoes. ljj1230, I wouldn't mind you coming along at all, although I wouldn't consider myself anywhere near an advanced winter climber. I did try the route two weeks ago (but didn't make it all the way) so I have some idea of what to expect along with gathering some info from trip reports.

Postby ebnhils » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:23 pm

I am going as well, will be there at 7. We'll see how far down the road we can get, last reports sounded like the road is clear in places with some drifts. May be interested in Gemini or Sharidan as extra credit if everyhting works out.

I am coming from Arvada if anyone would like to carpool.

Eben
life is motion, get busy living or get busy dying

Postby ljj1230 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:06 am

Jagiammaria,
DId you need snow shoes the entire time when you went a couple of weeks ago? Also, I have not done a winter climb...what other equipment should I bring? I will be coming from Wyoming...any easy directions and where to meet? Thanks!!!

Postby ljj1230 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:16 am

One last thing...I looked at the forecast for tomorrow at Sherman and it seems as if it will be really windy--any concerns?

Postby JB99 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:53 am

Bring a balaclava, goggles and windproof clothes head to toe...

Postby jagiammaria » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:03 pm

Last time we had snowshoes on for a good ways up the road, took them off when we headed up some rocks leaving the road (south slopes route), and put them back on a little ways further as we began post-holing. I took them off on the descent and found I could follow the rocks down and only post-holed in a few places. Last time it was incredibly windy, and I think the forecast was calling for no to little winds. My understanding is that it's very hard to find a day on Sherman where it isn't really windy. I'm just planning on meeting as far up the road as we can get (probably about 1-1.5 miles before Leavick). I'll be in a blue '95 Subaru Legacy so it's not like I have any ground clearance and could make it farther than anybody else.

-Joe

Postby Exiled Michigander » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 pm

A group of us just did Sherman via Fourmile Creek this past Tuesday, but I haven't had time to post a conditions report. You can park within about 1.25 miles of the Leavick site; it will be very obvious where the road starts to become impassable. This will make the hike about 11 miles round trip. We all had snowshoes, but to be quite honest you don't need them as long as you have microspikes for traction--solid track all the way to the top. There are a couple cornices on the ridge between Sherman and Sheridan to be mindful of, but you can easily keep far out from them. Have a great time--weather should be great!

Postby ebnhils » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Exiled Michigander wrote:A group of us just did Sherman via Fourmile Creek this past Tuesday, but I haven't had time to post a conditions report. You can park within about 1.25 miles of the Leavick site; it will be very obvious where the road starts to become impassable. This will make the hike about 11 miles round trip. We all had snowshoes, but to be quite honest you don't need them as long as you have microspikes for traction--solid track all the way to the top. There are a couple cornices on the ridge between Sherman and Sheridan to be mindful of, but you can easily keep far out from them. Have a great time--weather should be great!

Thanks for the update, we need to go for a hike together again soon.

Eben
life is motion, get busy living or get busy dying

Next