Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Help--I need a picture

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Help--I need a picture

Postby skiwall » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:34 pm

highpilgrim- if I saw those eyes in the woods I think I'd have to change my pants. That creeps me out now, and I'm sitting at my desk at work.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby metalmountain » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:01 pm

highpilgrim wrote:
eyes.jpg

Cripes!! I peed a little when I scrolled to this picture.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:27 pm

skiwall wrote:highpilgrim- if I saw those eyes in the woods I think I'd have to change my pants. That creeps me out now, and I'm sitting at my desk at work.
metalmountain wrote:
highpilgrim wrote:
eyes.jpg

It was interesting.

It was my third solo climb up Huerfano on subsequent days last August. I did Lindsey and Huerfano on the first day. Climbed the knob below/part of Gash ridge on the second and was going to do Lindsey again via the southwest ridge on the third. I was acclimating after coming up from the plains.

What made it interesting was that I had seen fresh cat scat in this area each of the first two days. Cats marking territory often leave their scat right in the middle of trails. On the second day there was new scat that wasn't there on the first day. So, I knew there was a cat around within the last 24.

The next morning, I got a good early start, and right after breaking out of the thickest part of the forest (just above the mine opening), I looked up and saw those eyes in my headlamp. Far enough away that my headlamp wouldn't tell me what the eyes were attached to. This just happened to be within a hundred or so yards of where I had seen the cat sh*t. :shock: I was fully awake at this point. First, I thought taking a pic would illuminate it with the flash from the camera. Unfortunately I had locked the flash out on a new camera and I was too scared to figure it out how to turn it on so I did what my Marine Corps training taught me to do when confronted: I took about 3 or 4 aggressive steps towards the eyes and gave the loudest UURRAAAAHH! battle cry I could manage with my balls stuck in my throat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It worked!!!! The killer lion, which happened to be three deer, ran away in confusion and terror.

I didn't soil my pants, mostly because I hadn't eaten yet.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby jenren81 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:22 pm

i see this evil thing out in my yard all of the time... not sure what kind of wild animal it is, but it's ferocious :wink:

Postby Fred North » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:40 pm

It is a Goa'uld dog.
Exactly...these go to 11 -- Nigel Tufnel

Postby abrowland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:20 pm

Since it's that time of the year...I caught a Leprechaun on my game camera two years ago..
Attachments
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG (15.03 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

Postby Smilin Joe » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:48 am

abrowland wrote:Since it's that time of the year...I caught a Leprechaun on my game camera two years ago..

Isn't that just GREAT.......I was beginning to think it was safe to go back into the woods again...........not with those little suckers runnin' around!
Life's a journey, not a destination.....slow down and enjoy the trip!

Postby metalmountain » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:16 am

highpilgrim wrote:
skiwall wrote:highpilgrim- if I saw those eyes in the woods I think I'd have to change my pants. That creeps me out now, and I'm sitting at my desk at work.
metalmountain wrote:
highpilgrim wrote:
eyes.jpg

It was interesting.

It was my third solo climb up Huerfano on subsequent days last August. I did Lindsey and Huerfano on the first day. Climbed the knob below/part of Gash ridge on the second and was going to do Lindsey again via the southwest ridge on the third. I was acclimating after coming up from the plains.

What made it interesting was that I had seen fresh cat scat in this area each of the first two days. Cats marking territory often leave their scat right in the middle of trails. On the second day there was new scat that wasn't there on the first day. So, I knew there was a cat around within the last 24.

The next morning, I got a good early start, and right after breaking out of the thickest part of the forest (just above the mine opening), I looked up and saw those eyes in my headlamp. Far enough away that my headlamp wouldn't tell me what the eyes were attached to. This just happened to be within a hundred or so yards of where I had seen the cat sh*t. :shock: I was fully awake at this point. First, I thought taking a pic would illuminate it with the flash from the camera. Unfortunately I had locked the flash out on a new camera and I was too scared to figure it out how to turn it on so I did what my Marine Corps training taught me to do when confronted: I took about 3 or 4 aggressive steps towards the eyes and gave the loudest UURRAAAAHH! battle cry I could manage with my balls stuck in my throat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It worked!!!! The killer lion, which happened to be three deer, ran away in confusion and terror.

I didn't soil my pants, mostly because I hadn't eaten yet.

HAHAHA! I tell you, the Sangres have a tendency of giving me the heebie jeebies in the dark. I grew up in Westcliffe, at the base of Spread Eagle Peak basically. We spent tons of time up in the Sangres , and I still get the willies in the dark up there. Other mountain ranges don't tend to do it to me. I don't know if that is just me being a wuss, or just the result of hearing too many scary stories as a kid. :shock: Of course it may also have to do with seeing cat prints right outside your front door, or fresh prints in the snow around you car in the morning, or cat growls at night while sitting outside on our porch. Ehhh...I'm probably a wuss.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Previous