Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Blanca Ski 3/12?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Blanca Ski 3/12?

Postby maverick_manley » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:07 pm

I'd like to attempt Blanca as a day trip this Saturday if I can find partners. I'll bring skis. I'll drive down tomorrow (Friday) afternoon, sleep at the TH and would like to leave at ~5AM and move fast to beat the wetslides later in the day (CAIC calls for warm temps). Send me a pm if you'd like to join in. It looks like a great weather day. Thanks.

Prakash
My Brain Stops at Treeline but my Soles will Summit

Re: Blanca Ski 3/12?

Postby Manky » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:10 pm

Maverick-Hey, I am headed over this way as well. Two of us will be coming over tonight and camping at the snow closure with an attempt to ski Blanca and Ellingwood this weekend. Let me know if you are still looking to hook up with someone. Thanks

Jaaron
Everything has changed, is changing and will continue to change...

Postby tmathews » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:47 am

Hey, Prakash. We saw your line down Ellingwood from LB's summit. Good ski? We also saw tracks near Lake Como from the southwest ridge. Hope you had a great time!

Postby maverick_manley » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:31 am

tmathews wrote:Hey, Prakash. We saw your line down Ellingwood from LB's summit. Good ski? We also saw tracks near Lake Como from the southwest ridge. Hope you had a great time!

That was probably Jaaron and crew... Our weekend tracks are on San Luis where we went instead. ~3500 foot continuous run off the summit in Spring-like conditions. Jaaron, thanks for the pm. Let's climb / ski something this Spring.
My Brain Stops at Treeline but my Soles will Summit

Postby tmathews » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:34 am

Oh, huh. Well, I hope you had a great time, regardless!

Postby Manky » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:37 am

We had pretty poor snow conditions, but an awesome day overall!! Sounds like the snow is a lot better on San Luis. Looked for the 14ers.com contingency on LB, but never saw anyone on the ridge. There was also a solo climber on the summit of Blanca yesterday. We did not like the looks of the ski route on Blanca, so we settled for just Ellingwood. :cry:

J

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:40 pm

Manky wrote:We had pretty poor snow conditions, but an awesome day overall!! Sounds like the snow is a lot better on San Luis. Looked for the 14ers.com contingency on LB, but never saw anyone on the ridge. There was also a solo climber on the summit of Blanca yesterday. We did not like the looks of the ski route on Blanca, so we settled for just Ellingwood. :cry:

J

When you say "poor" conditions, were you able to ski from near the summit? Was the snow relatively stable? Might try to get there this weekend

Any chance you'd be willing to throw up a Peak Conditions Report? If not, no problem. Just looking for more info.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Manky » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Bill-How about a TR instead? http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9665&parmuser=Manky&cpgm=tripuser

Snow was bottomless sugar with a trap crust layer, but Ellingwood is seeing good enough coverage for a close to summit ski. The snow was melting fast though. There seemed to be little signs of instability, no whoomps or cracks. Snowpack seemed sorta dead. Hope you get after it.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Oops! I totally missed the TR.

Thanks for the info. Looks a bit boney but we might be able to make it work.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:59 pm

Yeah, I was hoping for more snow. Bummer