Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Little Bear (Take 2)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Little Bear (Take 2)

Postby Kiefer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:52 pm

So, after horrid snow conditions on Little Bear Feb 25th, Ridge Runner (Stephanie) and I are heading back down THIS Saturday (12th)
for another attempt. This time, we'll be taking the SW Ridge since it's 'technically' easier and the avy danger is lower than the standard Hourglass.

In all likihood, we'll be leaving the road sometime around 4:00am, give or take.
Anyone interested in coming? The weather is going be elysian! :D
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Re: Little Bear (Take 2)

Postby globreal » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:02 pm

I am looking to join you on this provided I can carpool down with someone. (I need to leave my vehicle for my daughter that day.)

Anybody from Colorado Springs looking to do this climb that's got an empty seat? I am happy to split the gas.
...but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
~John 20:31

Postby sgladbach » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:30 am

Britt,

If you can catch a ride to Pueblo with Anna, then you can borrow a car to go to the TH (and get back to Pueblo Saturday.) You could spend the night at my house or get your daughter to come pick you up in Pueblo. I'll not be home. call me.

Steve
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby Ridge runner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:22 pm

Anna,

Kiefer and I went back and forth last night discussing the route options. I'd rather suffer the bushwack-fest getting to the SW ridge than deal with the snow slopes on the standard route. Kiefer seemed to prefer the standard route. Either way we decide, you'll want to bring crampons, ice axe, and harness (and avy gear if we do standard route). We'd rappel the hourglass if we go with the standard route, but if we go the SW ridge we may bring a short rope just in case. If you don't have this stuff we might be able to borrow from friends.

Postby tmathews » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:39 pm

Dammitol. What a horrible time to be without a job.

Postby jam6880 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:50 pm

does anybody know the condition of the hourglass?

Postby Dad Mike » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Dani and I are in and our vote is for the SW ridge. We will be bringing harnesses, 30 meter rope, pickets, etc. Just let me know what time we are meeting.

I know from reading her reports that Anna is a fan or finishing peaks in the dark. :D Just to be clear up front...we will be hiking at a pace to avoid that possibility.

Postby Ridge runner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:05 pm

Anna, I hope you can make it out to the gathering on Harvard and Columbia (18th-20th). I'm not a huge fan of crowds myself, but gatherings are fun and it's a good way to meet new potential hiking partners as well as pick up knowledge from more experienced people. Good luck finding your snowshoes on Humboldt!

Postby d_baker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Steph, I have to ask where was that picture taken (and when?) in your new avatar?

Mad Mike. There's a reason he's called Mad. ;)
(Mike, I wonder if carrying a picket is worth it? Snow conditions might not warrant one. Bring rock pro maybe instead. IMO. And I'll call you tomorrow when I leave work at 11am-ish.)

Good luck this weekend!

Postby globreal » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:40 pm

Mad Mike wrote:Dani and I are in and our vote is for the SW ridge. We will be bringing harnesses, 30 meter rope, pickets, etc. Just let me know what time we are meeting.

I know from reading her reports that Anna is a fan or finishing peaks in the dark. :D Just to be clear up front...we will be hiking at a pace to avoid that possibility.

My vote is also the SW ridge. And I'll bring my harness if I can get in a carpool.

I am planning on NOT bringing my shovel, probe, and beacon for this ridge. Thoughts anyone?

And Mike...I remember now why Darin gave the MAD MIKE reference....you flew by us on Uncompahgre in December!
...but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
~John 20:31

Postby Ridge runner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:12 pm

d_baker wrote:Steph, I have to ask where was that picture taken (and when?) in your new avatar?

Snake Couloir on Sneffels in mid June 2009. I think you'd like it. :wink:

Postby Kiefer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:52 pm

Sorry I haven't kept in touch via the forum guys.

As Steph said, we ARE taking the SW Ridge. Plan is to meet just past the cow gate at the Lake Como Road turnoff. We can stash our cars there and carpool together up to the Tobin Creek access point. Plan is to meet at 4:00am. Steph and I will be sleeping there already. That should put us on the bushwhack around 4:30am or so. I spoke to the Alamosa Couty Sheriff's office and whatever car(s) we leave at the Tobin Creek area should be fine (no tickets, tows). The whole area even though it is zoned is still quite primitive.

Didn't know you were a teacher, anna! You should take the weekend and hit up the Canyonlands solo! Damn I miss Utah. :(

We'll see ya Dani, Mike....AND Britt! :wink:
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Next