Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
User avatar
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: Aurora, CO

Re: A little windy?

Postby Jay521 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:10 am

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
Strong congratulations on getting Sheridan in these conditions, Jay. Kudos!!

Did you see the fiasco a little further up the road toward Leavick? I wondered about that truck that was stuck, with a couple more cars past it, and how they were going to get out. On our way back out we saw the tow truck. The tow truck had a flat. Poor guy was definitely having a bad day. They got it fixed, though, and everyone got out ok.


I did see a Jeep Wagoneer that was stuck. The tow truck was just starting to try and get him out when I went by him (about 2PM) Didn't see any others trying to get by it. I parked back where most people did, I think - mine was the FJ with Vietnam Vet tags. I learned a long time ago that the extra half mile you drive can add hours to your exit. Had to spend the night in my truck once because someone abandoned their vehicle blocking the exit. Won't make that mistake again.

PS - I just emailed you a few pics I took of Sherman while I was on Sheridan. Feel free to use them in any trip report you write and I don't need any credit. Actually, next you your pics, I don't want any credit!!! :)
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

User avatar
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:48 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Re: Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Postby lydiah » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:27 am

I attempted to go up St. Mary's to James Peak and only made it to the top of the glacier. The winds were just unreal... congrats to those who made a summit in that!!
Live, Laugh, Love

User avatar
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:19 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Postby moon stalker » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:36 am

I thought those two skiers with the stuck ?blazer? with wisconsin plates made it to the top of Sherman? Maybe they didn't make it all the way, I lost sight of them in the whiteout. I made it over to White Ridge. Like Jay, I was crawling at times on that ridge, really bad winds. On the way out there I didn't attempt to get any measurements, I had to focus on staying upright. Fortunately on the way back, the winds seemed to lighten up a bit. I got a max of 49 mph, not too bad. But that wasn't the worst for sure. I'm quite sure there were longer gusts in the 50s when I had to stop hiking and brace against the wind. Even the max of 49 I measured didn't make me stop hiking, albeit I was walking sideways.
Yeah, the wind sucked. Oh well.
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.

User avatar
Posts: 2146
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:47 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Jay, thanks.

Lydiah, true! And congrats again to Boggy B, fepic 1, and Jay521 for successful summits yesterday despite adverse conditions.

Moon stalker, thanks for the measurements. We wished we had an anemometer up there. It would have been interesting to see what they were in the saddle between White and Sherman. If one has ever ridden a motorcycle on a highway, it gives some sense of what various wind speeds feel like (at lower altitude.) I believe it takes higher wind speeds to do the same at higher altitude b/c the air is thinner. But it gives one a rough approximation. I would not be surprised to learn maximum wind speeds at the White/Sherman saddle reached in excess of 75 mph yesterday.

User avatar
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Postby mountainjam » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:08 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Many thanks to Brian, Joe, Nick, Matt, and Dwight for the great company, and a good trip in challenging conditions.


It was nice meeting you guys yesterday. It's a bummer that you couldn't summit but the conditions up high looked awful. When I turned around you could barely see Sherman - whiteout conditions up there. Let's get together for another hike sometime, next time I won't have any time restraints.

Nick
The future is no place to place your better days. - Dave Matthews

User avatar
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:51 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Postby devo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:56 pm

We were in the same neighborhood yesterday. Our group of Alby, Baumgara, myself and one more made it up Silverheels yesterday. It was pretty brutal but we got up and down with only a little frostbite.
silverheels.jpg
Heading up to the ridge of Silverheels around 12,800
silverheels.jpg (22.55 KiB) Viewed 819 times

User avatar
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:19 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Postby moon stalker » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:54 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:It would have been interesting to see what they were in the saddle between White and Sherman.
I would not be surprised to learn maximum wind speeds at the White/Sherman saddle reached in excess of 75 mph yesterday.


I'm confused. I was on the saddle between White and Sherman, after having gone over that long freakin ridge to White and back, with my meter out measuring. Max was 49. Qualitatively, the wind was not as bad between noon and one coming back off White compared to before noon when I went out there and I had to brace against the wind several times. I think I saw you and another person going up the saddle to Sherman just as I came down the saddle. I don't think winds where I was, even on the long ridge with no protection, were too much over 60. I just had to brace against the wind, none really pushed me over like I've had before in 70 mph (measured) winds (except for right near the summit where I had to practically crawl).
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.

Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:47 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Postby reff1198 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:21 pm

I was the "second person" with Jim trying to get to Sherman....I am not sure on the exact mph but I am 6 foot 3...185 and I was getting thrown around. There were atleast 3 times where I got knocked off my feet.

BTW, there was a group of 4-6 people that started at 8 am...did anyone summit?

Online
User avatar
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:49 pm
Location: Westminster, CO

Re: Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Postby mrickers » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:11 pm

George and I made it to roughly 300 feet from the summit by the standard southwest ridge. The winds were absolutely fierce....at some points we had to drop and wait for the gusts to pass. Needless to say it wouldn't have been a great idea to continue on so we turned around.
Attachments
IMGP2704.JPG
Me being defeated by the wind
IMGP2704.JPG (163.49 KiB) Viewed 544 times

User avatar
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:01 pm
Location: Arvada, CO

Re: Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Postby jagiammaria » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:38 pm

I had a blast climbing with you guys. If I meet up with any of you again I'll try and get more than 4 hours of sleep before so I can try and pretend like I'm keeping up. Didn't get many chances to take pictures, but here's a few. The first and second really show how the visibility up top changed.

DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG (329.38 KiB) Viewed 537 times


DSC_0030.JPG
DSC_0030.JPG (257.16 KiB) Viewed 534 times


DSC_0034.JPG
DSC_0034.JPG (308.73 KiB) Viewed 537 times

User avatar
Posts: 2146
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:47 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:42 pm

After Saturday, I said to heck with the precip forecast and decided to look strictly at winds on the GFS/ETA 500mb plots - and behold, Monday (today) looked like low winds. I figured, never mind the snow; I'll deal with a few inches of new on the car.

Turns out this was the teensiest winter weather window - hit it this morning with Dave Cooper - we had a gorgeous morning; sunny, warm, calm, beautiful. By the time we were headed off the summit it was white-out. We had just talked about GPS being superior to map/compass/altimeter in such conditions - maybe. Then found Dave's GPS dead. (I'm a map/compass kind of guy myself.) It was a tad disorienting, but we got south out of the White/Sherman saddle, where it was more clear, and mostly booted it through fresh snow back to the cars, where it was snowing lightly. The only casualty of the day was sunburn. My face is trashed. Dave was in a T-shirt this morning at 13,500. What a difference 48 hours makes.

User avatar
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:19 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Postby moon stalker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:The only casualty of the day was sunburn. My face is trashed. Dave was in a T-shirt this morning at 13,500. What a difference 48 hours makes.


Oh that's just not fair! :D I declare if you're wearing a t-shirt, it can't be an official winter summit. :lol:
j/k. Good job. Wish we had a day like that on Sat.
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mrosene and 6 guests