Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Postby Yikes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:25 am

lol, i shouldn't complain about the wind on pikes. we didn't have anything like that.

Postby d_baker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 am

So Anna, what do you think the wind speed was up there? ;)
Looks more than blustery.
Although whomever that was going down, looks like they had some assistance!

Postby tmathews » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:05 am

Did you guys make it to the summit?

Postby George James » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:01 am

Wesley wrote:Tried to ski Columbia today but had to turn around about 200 feet from the summit (after starting at 8,700ft via Frenchman Creek) cause I was getting zapped pretty badly. Lots of electricity in the air I guess. Winds were intense. Fun day though with a good group.

Holy crap it was windy. Sorry you weren't able to claim the ski descent, me and my friends had a really great time though, really enjoyed the experience and meeting some new people.

So, news to me: apparently dry, violently blowing snow can cause static electricity to build up in the air. Wasn't able to find much information on the interwebs about it from a few quick searches, but it's mentioned on a few sites. There's a note in the Avalanche Handbook cautioning against using electric blasting caps during avalanche control work, because static electricity generated by blowing snow has unexpectedly detonated them. :shock:

My one friend said he clicked his poles together at one point and his whole body stiffened up. Thought he pulled a muscle in his back at first, before everybody else started communicating that they were getting zapped. Crazyness.

Heck of a job topping out this weekend, those of you that did. Your determination to fight through that wind to claim a summit is incredible to me.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby tmathews » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:08 am

George James wrote:Holy crap it was windy. Sorry you weren't able to claim the ski descent, me and my friends had a really great time though, really enjoyed the experience and meeting some new people.

So, news to me: apparently dry, violently blowing snow can cause static electricity to build up in the air. Wasn't able to find much information on the interwebs about it from a few quick searches, but it's mentioned on a few sites. There's a note in the Avalanche Handbook cautioning against using electric blasting caps during avalanche control work, because static electricity generated by blowing snow has unexpectedly detonated them. :shock:

My one friend said he clicked his poles together at one point and his whole body stiffened up. Thought he pulled a muscle at first, before everybody else started communicating that they were getting zapped. Crazyness.

Heck of a job topping out this weekend, those of you that did. Your determination to fight through that wind to claim a summit is incredible to me.

Huh. I wonder if that happened to me. There were a couple of times on my way up and on top of the ridge where I experienced what felt like an electrical charge travel down my arms into my hands. I just shrugged it off because I had taken my hands out of my mittens a few times and my fingers were cold, so I thought it was just blood flowing back into them.

Previous