Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Looking at Sherman or something close and easy for Saturday. Would love some company.

Re: Sherman (or other class 2) saturday 3-5?

Postby mountainjam » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi Jim, I'd be interested in joining you on Saturday. I was just looking into possible hikes for Saturday close to Denver and I was hoping that I wouldn't have to go solo. Sherman would work for me. -Nick
The future is no place to place your better days. - Dave Matthews

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:33 pm

Sounds good. I'm waiting to hear back from Matt; he may be in as well. Sounds like a fun group shaping up.

Since the route is so short, my thought is not to lose any sleep over it; ie, relaxed start time.

Let's firm up plans tomorrow. I'll get a pm out.

Jim

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Update: So far we have Mountainjam, Reff1198, and possibly Bruton.

Firm up plans tomorrow.

Weather not perfect, but the best we're going to get for a few days. Forecast says gusts to 33mph. I'm guessing we'll have some wind shadow on the east slopes till the summit ridge, where it will be higher winds than forecast. The summit ridge is fairly short.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/weather.php?ltype=1

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:00 am

Bumping this up. Anyone else?

We can add Sheridan if everyone wants to.

Late start, casual pace.

Postby jagiammaria » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:28 am

I'm interested in this Jim. Just trying to figure out if I have anything else I previously committed to. How late of a start are you thinking about?

-Joe

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:38 am

jagiammaria wrote:I'm interested in this Jim. Just trying to figure out if I have anything else I previously committed to. How late of a start are you thinking about?

-Joe

Joe, thanks. Included you in the pm distro.

-Jim

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:38 pm

Anyone who wants to add on is welcome! So far it looks like a group of seven, with a few more interested.

We'll be starting around 8:30. The CAIC report should be out, we'll see how conditions look, and decide on White Ridge vs. south approach vs. Sherman/Sheridan saddle approach.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Jim

A little windy?

Postby Jay521 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:38 am

Bet you guys had some pretty gnarly winds up there yesterday. I did Sheridan and it looked like the summit of Sherman was a whiteout most of the day. And I bet your pictures will be fantastic as they always are!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Re: A little windy?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:16 am

Jay521 wrote:Bet you guys had some pretty gnarly winds up there yesterday. I did Sheridan and it looked like the summit of Sherman was a whiteout most of the day. And I bet your pictures will be fantastic as they always are!

Thanks, Jay. Yes, winds were a little rough.

There were quite a few folks there, five in our group, plus several other groups. No one we spoke with summitted Sherman yesterday. We made it to 13,850 on the eastern flank, above the White Ridge/Sherman saddle. Despite being on the east side, winds had shifted to the S/SW several hours earlier than forecast, so we had zero wind shadow. We encountered knock-down gusts and took quite a hammering before making our decision to descend. It's always disappointing to be so close and not get the summit, but it was the sensible decision. Conditions were getting pretty out of hand.

Michael and John were successful on their summits of 13ers in the area; big congrats, gents.

Several of us from three of the groups enjoyed more civilized conditions over dinner in Alma; a fine end to a tough day.

Many thanks to Brian, Joe, Nick, Matt, and Dwight for the great company, and a good trip in challenging conditions.
Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Jay521 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:55 am

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
Thanks, Jay. Yes, winds were a little rough.

There were quite a few folks there, five in our group, plus several other groups. No one we spoke with summitted Sherman yesterday. We made it to 13,850 on the eastern flank, above the White Ridge/Sherman saddle. Despite being on the east side, winds had shifted to the S/SW several hours earlier than forecast, so we had zero wind shadow. We encountered knock-down gusts and took quite a hammering before making our decision to descend. It's always disappointing to be so close and not get the summit, but it was the sensible decision. Conditions were getting pretty out of hand.

Michael and John were successful on their summits of 13ers in the area; big congrats, gents.

Several of us from three of the groups enjoyed more civilized conditions over dinner in Alma; a fine end to a tough day.

+1 on the knock down winds. I was almost crawling by the time I got to Sheridan's summit. It was brutal. I left about an hour earlier than you did and that's probably the only reason I topped out - it just seemed to get worse and worse as the day went on. Smart decision to bail when you did.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:02 am

Jay521 wrote:
+1 on the knock down winds. I was almost crawling by the time I got to Sheridan's summit. It was brutal. I left about an hour earlier than you did and that's probably the only reason I topped out - it just seemed to get worse and worse as the day went on. Smart decision to bail when you did.

Strong congratulations on getting Sheridan in these conditions, Jay. Kudos!!

Did you see the fiasco a little further up the road toward Leavick? I wondered about that truck that was stuck, with a couple more cars past it, and how they were going to get out. On our way back out we saw the tow truck. The tow truck had a flat. Poor guy was definitely having a bad day. They got it fixed, though, and everyone got out ok.

Next