Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski partner(s) Saturday 3-5

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Ski partner(s) Saturday 3-5

Postby Bean » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:55 am

charlie_ice wrote:What kind of boots do you all use and do you recomment it? I've been on a pair of Garmont Ski/Mountaineering boots for 5 years now and it is time for a new pair.
I go into REI and Wild Exchange but they are like $400-$700 and can't decide.
I wish I could join you all this weekend but I have to work Sat night, blah.

I have some Scarpa Maestrales that I'm a big fan of. The walk mode is outstanding, they can drive bigger skis just fine, and they're very light. TLT5-P is the other boot I'd suggest, if you can find your size and can throw down the cash for it.

I've got a pair of 28.5/29 (322 bsl) Maestrales with a handful of days on them to sell for cheap if anyone's looking (I pulled a bonehead move and got the wrong size for my tastes).
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby IncrediBill85 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:09 am

I'm on Dynafit Titans. Great boot for most days but I wish I had something lighter for longer tours (ie the TLT-5).

Postby COBuckeye » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:29 am

Definitely in for Columbia.

As for boots I have a grand total of one day on my BD Quadrants, but I really like them so far, although others have pointed out disappointment with the liners/overall durability. Since I am a 15-20day/year guy I didn't think this would be too much of a problem, but I could be wrong.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby Carl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:27 pm

Columbia sounds good to me. We'll have to make sure we all think there is a reasonable chance of finding a safe route through the upper parts of Frenchman Creek. Lots of rolling terrain changes. Lets get a discussion going by email. PM me your email if I don't already have it (i.e. Eric, Prakash, Rodney).

If anyone knows what winter access is like for Frenchman Creek please weigh in. Looks like it might be gated at 8,500ft.

Postby George James » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:30 pm

Thinkin I might like to ski Columbia with you guys on Saturday as well.

FR 386 is gated down low according to the Chaffee County Road and Bridge guys in Buena Vista, as well as the Salida Ranger District.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Previous