Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Vibram five finger hiking

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Vibram five finger hiking

Postby Rastaman566 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:27 am

The big thing is working your way into using them. Sure, I felt like some extras muscles were being used, but the the bottoms of my feet were the areas that were getting the most torture, specifically the balls of your feet and your heals. I've spent a lot of time on the Barr Trail of Pikes with them. At first I would suggest bringing an extra pair of regular cushioned shoes with because you might find your self stranded near the top with soar feet. I had to run down one time with the bottom of my feet feeling like raw meat! Ouch! Anyway, I think they are much better for your running form as well as your cadence. As far as grip goes, they work really well when there is some kind of texture under your feet, but if your running on ice they provide zero grip just like regular shoes. And watch out for stubbing your toes. Although the padding rolls over the front of the toe for protection, you'll still feel it when you take a direct hit on a rock.

Postby highpilgrim » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:43 am

Does anyone worry that their toes are one shift of a talus pile away from mincemeat wearing these?
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby matthewbe » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:37 pm

mtgirl wrote:WOW - they will look sweet with my new hiking mini skirt ! \:D/

Haha, that's awesome. Will that be a new addition for the Gurls Hike?

I have the Bikila which is made for running and has more traction than some of the original trekking ones, although I think all the KSO treks have it too. I have taken them on a few hikes and like a few mentioned, when you are on rock ledges or points, they can be a touch uncomfortable, but normally they allow me to just hop around the rocks with no issue. Wouldn't wear more than a light daypack with them, at least I am not brave enough yet. :D
Not all who wander are lost.

Matthewbe Photography
http://www.matthewbe.com

Postby mckillio » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Bringing this thread back to life (it was one of the top searches that came up on google).

I've done a few 14ers in both KSOs and Bikilas. I do not recommend the KSOs at all, there just isn't enough protection on the bottoms. The Bikilas are much better but still don't cut it, your feet will still hurt and get pretty easily wet.

Has anyone tried the Speed XCs, Lontras, or Treksports? Looking at Vibram's website these all have to be better than the two I've tried but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to find out which is best.

Postby jdorje » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:56 pm

I have a pair of KSO's, which I really like for weightlifting. They're like weightlifting shoes, only more so. (When lifting you want perfect balance on your feet and all force to be transferred directly from foot to ground, so cushioning or elevation of the heel like most shoes do is very bad. Barefoot would be great but most gyms do not allow it.)

They're fine for hiking or running on dirt, but on rocky ground the sole just isn't thick enough for protection and you have to watch where you put each foot (exactly what mckillio said). I'm much happier with trail runners.

My friend has a pair of new balance minimus that he's even happier with [than he was with his previous pair of KSOs]. Super-thin-soled shoes are great for certain applications and I think everyone should own a pair, but I suspect there are better options than Vibrams now.
Last edited by jdorje on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby pills2619 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:28 pm

Great but just lack a little versatility and warmth. I have the originals whatever you call them and they are nice for mountaineering but I prefer a flat trail runner. provides a little more grip on a broader range of surfaces like snow and ice while still providing proper form and I can care a little less when I'm tired. It gets old trying to not step on the pointy parts of rocks after 10+ miles. Also I have had these for a few years now and no matter how cool you think you are you kinda look like a goober in these shoes and remember hiking is 5% skill 5% luck and 90% looks. :-D
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Postby myfeetrock » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:52 am

I bought a pair about 2 years ago and use them alot. The only thing I didn't like was getting grass, small pebbles, and twigs stuck between the toes. They suck on wet or damp surfaces, but do well on most dry surfaces. I wouldn't try a forth class move with these as they will slip. This is my opinion only you may feel different. They feel great on my feet though and fit like a glove on all toes.
Michael Colson

Previous