Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er on Monday? Lindsey?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: 14er on Monday? Lindsey?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:13 am

Steve, thanks for the update.

Postby Yikes » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:30 am

sgladbach wrote:
Two of us attempted Crestone Peak Saturday. We bailed 400' below Broken and Saddle (due to very high winds.) Two guys attempted an hour or so after we returned to Lower S. Colony Lake. The went all the way to the saddle, then bailed.

After my partner and I bailed on the Needle, I went over to Columbia Point. High winds to the base of the Couloir, fine in the Couloir, The sustained 60 w/ gusts to across the Playground and on to the summit. On the return the sane winds were accompanied by heavy snowfall. As I descended my couloir of choice, I witnessed two slides come down steeper adjacent couloirs. By the time we left this morning, our tents were drifted 18" and about 12 were on the first 2 mile of road, the 8 for the next mile and a half, 6 for 1 1/2 miles and 4 the rest of the way down. High winds and more snow ere with us today also.

Avy potential is way up from just a couple days ago. Those high winds deposited snow on an ideal sliding surface.

We were wondering how you were doing over there. The winds were threatening to blow us off Humboldt so we turned at 13k. Sounds like you had a lot worse snow conditions; we only had to deal with our trench filling in.

Postby sgladbach » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:30 pm

Yikes wrote:We were wondering how you were doing over there. The winds were threatening to blow us off Humboldt so we turned at 13k. Sounds like you had a lot worse snow conditions; we only had to deal with our trench filling in.

Were you the two camped near us at the old 4WD TH to attempt the standard route or the party that set a tent near the Rainbow TH for the east ridge? I don't know how either party did, but you were at least one of three parties that decided to choose a different day. I'm curious how the other Humboldt part did.

The REAL snow started about 8PM Saturday when I was at Lower South Colony Lake. It gave about 6" visibility. The short version: It took 6.5 killer hard hours full of high winds, low wind chills, and stinging blowing snow to summit Columbia Point. It took 4.5 hours to descend to lower S. Colony Lake. From there, it is 1.5 miles, on trail, to camp: this portion took me 11 hours. (There will be no TR!)
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby tmathews » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:54 pm

sgladbach wrote:
Yikes wrote:We were wondering how you were doing over there. The winds were threatening to blow us off Humboldt so we turned at 13k. Sounds like you had a lot worse snow conditions; we only had to deal with our trench filling in.

Were you the two camped near us at the old 4WD TH to attempt the standard route or the party that set a tent near the Rainbow TH for the east ridge? I don't know how either party did, but you were at least one of three parties that decided to choose a different day. I'm curious how the other Humboldt part did.

Steve -- we were actually just up there to attempt the east ridge as a daytrip. We didn't see any tents near the Rainbow Trail intersection, so that group was probably camped a little further up the road or they hiked up after we left (was around 3:20 PM). We broke trail from the intersection on up (well, Mike did from the start of the east ridge to treeline).

Previous