Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Buckskin, Mon. 2/21

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
User avatar
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:30 am
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Mt. Buckskin, Mon. 2/21

Postby Johnson » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:43 am

globreal wrote:I recently missed a "true" summit on East LaPlata and your right, it just doesn't feel right.



Are you saying that you missed it and need to go back? I'd be up for that. Maybe we could do Ellingwood Ridge just to be sure you really do it! :)
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

User avatar
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:16 am
Location: Broomfield, Colorado

Re: Mt. Buckskin, Mon. 2/21

Postby d_baker » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:13 am

globreal wrote:Thanks Bob (and others) for the headsup on that. I recently missed a "true" summit on East LaPlata and your right, it just doesn't feel right.

Looks like a good group with 7 potentials:
globreal
Weshun
Sunny1
Jeffskio
Derek
anna
Monster5

To those who listed as potential, would you please update if your plans have changed?


I'm interested as well. Would like to carpool from the Springs though.
This also means bailing on the group going up Pikes Peak via crags route. But I like the idea of a repeat on Buckskin instead of another summit of Pikes. Pikes is nice, so don't get me wrong!

-Darin

User avatar
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:16 am
Location: Broomfield, Colorado

Re: Mt. Buckskin, Mon. 2/21

Postby d_baker » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:23 am

globreal wrote:There's a few of us planning to climb 13,865 Mt. Buckskin


Britt, what's your intended route?

User avatar
Posts: 2146
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:47 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Mt. Buckskin, Mon. 2/21

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:38 am

Britt, Darin, Anna, I'm looking for something to do tomorrow, but the new snow and wind has me concerned. Britt, I assume you'll be ascending that NE slope for Buckskin? How safe do you think that will be right now?

Anna, what route did you have in mind for the Sangre? I had planned Lindsey, as the storm was supposed to miss the Sangre, but didn't. This morning's CAIC report:

"Six to 8 inches of snow and up to an inch or more of water fell in the Sangre de Cristos in the last 18 hours. Strong winds from the south east to the southwest continued overnight. This has built fresh storm slabs on north through east aspects near and above treeline. These slabs will build on a combination of hard wind and melt-freeze crusts, and will be easy to trigger today."

I'd like to get out tomorrow, but pondering whether it would be better to wait till things settle around the state. What do you guys think?

User avatar
Posts: 1484
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:24 pm
Location: Monument, CO

Re: Mt. Buckskin, Mon. 2/21

Postby globreal » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:51 am

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Britt, Darin, Anna, I'm looking for something to do tomorrow, but the new snow and wind has me concerned. Britt, I assume you'll be ascending that NE slope for Buckskin? How safe do you think that will be right now?

Anna, what route did you have in mind for the Sangre? I had planned Lindsey, as the storm was supposed to miss the Sangre, but didn't. This morning's CAIC report:

"Six to 8 inches of snow and up to an inch or more of water fell in the Sangre de Cristos in the last 18 hours. Strong winds from the south east to the southwest continued overnight. This has built fresh storm slabs on north through east aspects near and above treeline. These slabs will build on a combination of hard wind and melt-freeze crusts, and will be easy to trigger today."

I'd like to get out tomorrow, but pondering whether it would be better to wait till things settle around the state. What do you guys think?


Jim,

I plan to decide the final route in the morning once we've got a visual on the mountain however, I'm leaning towards just following right underneath the powerlines all the way to the ridgetop between Democrat and Mt. Buckskin. This would keep us on the lowest slope angle. (look at the map Rob posted on Page 1.)

If it looks avy safe underneath Loveland Mnt. and if the winds/cold aren't killing us, then I may hike the ridge south to Loveland Mnt. and descend straight east off Loveland back down that ridge to the road.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

User avatar
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 10:32 am
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: Mt. Buckskin, Mon. 2/21

Postby Derek » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:04 am

globreal wrote:If it looks avy safe underneath Loveland Mnt. and if the winds/cold aren't killing us, then I may hike the ridge south to Loveland Mnt. and descend straight east off Loveland back down that ridge to the road.


If it helps with the decision at all, when Zoomie83, Greenhouseguy and I ascended Buckskin in 2009(?) we followed the road from prior to the winter closure and ascended the slope to Loveland first on the way to Buckskin. I dont recall passing anything that wouldnt be avy safe. I didnt have my GPS on that trip so I dont have a track, but Greenhouseguy might if it helps. See everyone tomorrow!

--Derek

**edit- we went up the road from Buckskin Joe mine site and left the road around 12400' ish on the SE slope of Loveland.
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Posts: 745
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 9:21 pm
Location: Moab, UT/Glenwood Springs, CO

Re: Mt. Buckskin, Mon. 2/21

Postby kaiman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:14 am

Derek wrote:
globreal wrote:If it looks avy safe underneath Loveland Mnt. and if the winds/cold aren't killing us, then I may hike the ridge south to Loveland Mnt. and descend straight east off Loveland back down that ridge to the road.


If it helps with the decision at all, when Zoomie83, Greenhouseguy and I ascended Buckskin in 2009(?) we followed the road from prior to the winter closure and ascended the slope to Loveland first on the way to Buckskin. I dont recall passing anything that wouldnt be avy safe. I didnt have my GPS on that trip so I dont have a track, but Greenhouseguy might if it helps. See everyone tomorrow!

--Derek


I would agree with Derek. Although I haven't been up there in winter, the ridge from Loveland to Buckskin is pretty straight forward and not too steep and seems like it would have the least avy danger of any routes and certainly less then climbing Buckskin directly from Kite Lake or from the Tweto side.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

User avatar
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 10:32 am
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: Mt. Buckskin, Mon. 2/21

Postby Derek » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:42 pm

kaiman wrote:
Derek wrote:
globreal wrote:If it looks avy safe underneath Loveland Mnt. and if the winds/cold aren't killing us, then I may hike the ridge south to Loveland Mnt. and descend straight east off Loveland back down that ridge to the road.


If it helps with the decision at all, when Zoomie83, Greenhouseguy and I ascended Buckskin in 2009(?) we followed the road from prior to the winter closure and ascended the slope to Loveland first on the way to Buckskin. I dont recall passing anything that wouldnt be avy safe. I didnt have my GPS on that trip so I dont have a track, but Greenhouseguy might if it helps. See everyone tomorrow!

--Derek


I would agree with Derek. Although I haven't been up there in winter, the ridge from Loveland to Buckskin is pretty straight forward and not too steep and seems like it would have the least avy danger of any routes and certainly less then climbing Buckskin directly from Kite Lake or from the Tweto side.


Not to disagree with myself, but looking back at pictures I recall there being one steep part. It was steep enough to glissade, so probably steep enough to slide. I cant recall if we could have just gone around that section though. It was near treeline, in the area that I circled in red from our track. (Thanks greenhouseguy)

Image
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

User avatar
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Mt. Buckskin, Mon. 2/21

Postby jeffskio » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:09 pm

buckskin edit.jpg
on the road to kite late
buckskin edit.jpg (74.1 KiB) Viewed 459 times


Britt and I were the only ones that attempted Buckskin today. We just went to Kite lake and dug a pit and saw that the avy danger was too high. We also couldn't see our route very well and most of it looked to be snowcovered. We were able to get within 1/2 mile of the winter trail closure in a 2wd car and other 4wd cars made it to the end. Temps were about 10 degrees with winds around 20mph gusting to 30.

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: emiller6 and 1 guest