Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er on Monday? Lindsey?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

14er on Monday? Lindsey?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:40 pm

It's not 100% reliable, but models suggest 500mb winds (~15,000 feet) are going to be hideous again all week - except for Monday and, maybe, Tuesday.

So I'm thinking something on Monday.

Sangres look to miss the brunt of the current storm, so Lindsey sounds like a decent plan.

Anyone?

(I'd also entertain something a little tougher like the Needle, with the right partner. Or something easy (especially if weather doesn't look so good statewide) like Sherman. )

Re: 14er on Monday? Lindsey?

Postby Rastaman566 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:02 pm

Well, if you decide to go with Sherman let me know. I had that in mind this Sunday/Monday.

Postby Manky » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:03 pm

I might just be down for something like this, I could make Moday work. Are you trying to ski on this trip? I would like to bring my boards for sure. Thanks

Jaaron
Everything has changed, is changing and will continue to change...

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:12 pm

Hadn't planned on a ski trip but skis could be useful on the Lindsey approach. I'm mostly into climbing the ridge. Don't expect there to be great skiing on the face.

Postby Manky » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:13 pm

There's one way to find out!!

Postby sstrauss » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Jim,
I'm looking for something to do on Monday. I have a few lines in the water, but nothing definite yet. I'd be up for any of the peaks you listed. Let me know.

Sean
"He discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that one's life is so short, and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed." R. Bach

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:47 am

Guys,

Looks like the storm did not miss the Sangre. Snowtel sites showing about 8" new on the hourly readings at Ute Creek. Here's what the CAIC is saying this morning:

"Six to 8 inches of snow and up to an inch or more of water fell in the Sangre de Cristos in the last 18 hours. Strong winds from the south east to the southwest continued overnight. This has built fresh storm slabs on north through east aspects near and above treeline. These slabs will build on a combination of hard wind and melt-freeze crusts, and will be easy to trigger today."

The rest of the state doesn't look much better. I'm thinking of being patient here and waiting for things to settle out.

What do you guys think?

Postby sstrauss » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:51 pm

I think it's prudent to stay in given the conditions. And knowing of plans for the coming weeks, I'm comfortable playing the waiting game.

Postby Manky » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:19 pm

We skied about 17 miles total yesterday to put in a cache near Mt. Irving/Mt Oso. Was one of the most strange days out with sun, clouds, wind, blizzards and finally a pounding rain even up high. Had a ton of lightning strikes that were a little close for comfort. A great day out!! I would assume that up high between winds and a new wet layer, things will be ugly for a little while. Rest day!!

Postby d_baker » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Manky wrote:We skied about 17 miles total yesterday to put in a cache near Mt. Irving/Mt Oso.

!!
From where did you go in from?
Any pictures of the surrounding area? Or too stormy?

Postby Manky » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:09 pm

We started at the Vallecito Creek trailhead. I have some photos, but the format for adding photos does not seem simple on this site compared to others-it keeps telling me that my file is too big.

Postby sgladbach » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Guys,

Looks like the storm did not miss the Sangre. Snowtel sites showing about 8" new on the hourly readings at Ute Creek. Here's what the CAIC is saying this morning:

"Six to 8 inches of snow and up to an inch or more of water fell in the Sangre de Cristos in the last 18 hours. Strong winds from the south east to the southwest continued overnight. This has built fresh storm slabs on north through east aspects near and above treeline. These slabs will build on a combination of hard wind and melt-freeze crusts, and will be easy to trigger today."

The rest of the state doesn't look much better. I'm thinking of being patient here and waiting for things to settle out.

What do you guys think?

Two of us attempted Crestone Peak Saturday. We bailed 400' below Broken and Saddle (due to very high winds.) Two guys attempted an hour or so after we returned to Lower S. Colony Lake. The went all the way to the saddle, then bailed.

After my partner and I bailed on the Needle, I went over to Columbia Point. High winds to the base of the Couloir, fine in the Couloir, The sustained 60 w/ gusts to across the Playground and on to the summit. On the return the sane winds were accompanied by heavy snowfall. As I descended my couloir of choice, I witnessed two slides come down steeper adjacent couloirs. By the time we left this morning, our tents were drifted 18" and about 12 were on the first 2 mile of road, the 8 for the next mile and a half, 6 for 1 1/2 miles and 4 the rest of the way down. High winds and more snow ere with us today also.

Avy potential is way up from just a couple days ago. Those high winds deposited snow on an ideal sliding surface.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Next