Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bierstadt 2/19

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Bierstadt 2/19

Postby Mtn_Topper » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:05 pm

Very likely to go up Bierstadt from where they stop plowing the road on the Grant side. Hoping to see other folks up there.

Re: Bierstadt 2/19

Postby Michael York » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:08 pm

How many miles from the TH does the plowing stop? I was thinking Quandary yesterday, but the weather put me off, so I' m thinking 14ers Monday and Tuesday...

Postby tmathews » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Michael York wrote:How many miles from the TH does the plowing stop? I was thinking Quandary yesterday, but the weather put me off, so I' m thinking 14ers Monday and Tuesday...

According to the Evans thread, it's 6.8 miles to where the plowing stops.

Postby moon stalker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:50 pm

tmathews wrote:
Michael York wrote:How many miles from the TH does the plowing stop? I was thinking Quandary yesterday, but the weather put me off, so I' m thinking 14ers Monday and Tuesday...

According to the Evans thread, it's 6.8 miles to where the plowing stops.

Ahhhh, sorry, on the Grant side I have to disagree. The winter road closure is *usually* 1.5 miles from the standard TH at the top of G Pass. I haven't been up there since early December, but the gate is near Duck Lake. So the main question is whether you can get to the gate with the snow, usually you can.
Georgetown side may be 6.8 miles?
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.

Postby tmathews » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Yeah, sorry. I was thinking "How many miles from 285 does the plowing stop?"

I don't think anyone has made it to that gate since maybe early December. When I was up there on 12/31, a few people made it to the spur road to the old Geneva Basin ski area and there was an abandoned Jeep Cherokee higher up on the road that had gotten stuck. Most people parked near the cut-off to Geneva Basin lower on the road. People might still be getting there, but I doubt it.