What type of daypack do you use for camera gear?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

What type of daypack do you use for camera gear?

Post by rking007 »

I'm looking at getting a little more serious at dragging my HD video gear around with me on some peaks this year and was wondering what some of the resident photo folks use for a day pack? I'm really into the Osprey packs but am having a hard time deciding what style and size. Obviously I need to carry my normal day hike gear (including poles and helmet) but will also need to add a tripod and camera into the mix. My Canon XH-A1 weighs around 5.3 pounds and is about 15 inches long (with the lens shade).

I do own a Lowe Pro photo backpack but in all honesty it would kill me on a 14er because it is designed strictly for photo gear (selling it actually if anyone is interested, PM me) and not climbing. I feel like it would be easier to store the camera in a decent day/multi pack than kill myself on a hike with a bag strictly made for camera gear.

So here's the question, top loading or panel? Approximate size anyone out there uses for more serious photo/vid equipment and how do attach your tripod or do you use something other than? For me, I'm heavily leaning on a tripod since I want to experiment with some time lapse on the peaks so stability is absolutely key. Lastly, I was thinking about water bladder versus water bottles, has anyone experienced their bladder popping or leaking as in that case it could be catastrophic to the camera.

Thanks in advance! I am humbled by all of your awesomeness, advice, and experience! Hopefully I'll be able to post some HD this summer!
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Re: What type of daypack do you use for camera gear?

Post by gonzalj »

I have an osprey exos 46. It is absolutely ridiculous. I have a 3 liter reservoir I can slide into the main part of the back in the built in pouch for it and it doesn't take up that much space. Then with the rest of the space in there I can fit my SLR and I can carry my tripod in 1 of the outside pockets and tie it down with some of the tie downs on the outside of the pack. Numerous compartments to fit all the necessary mountain equipment/survival gear as well as the tripod and camera.
FFLpilot
14ers: 2 
13ers: 6 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FFLpilot »

Check out F-Stop Gear; they are a small company manufacturing backcountry packs for photographers. Real packs. Like you, I tired of the crap photo backpacks available (just sold my Photo Trekker), and was fortunate enough to run across a suggestion to check these guys out. Small company, 20-year guarantee, can't make stuff fast enough to keep it in stock (they are finally solving some of their supply issues). Packs made for backcountry photographers, by backcountry photographers. The packs are entered from a zipper in the back panel, and you can get different-sized ICUs (internal camera units) depending on what kind of trip you are taking. Such a great idea, and the ICUs are very convenient for storing photo equipment when not in use. Lots of thoughtful little features, and they constantly update them with input from the field on what works, what doesn't.

I recently got their 48l Tilopa BC, and on Sunday took it up it's 2nd winter 13er:

http://jeffwarnerphoto.blogspot.com/201 ... 13219.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm thrilled with the pack; it carries as well as any of my daypacks, though they only come in one size. The smaller Loka model may be closer to the size you are looking for:

http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/loka" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, I have no stock in these guys other than their product that I own, I just wish I'd learned of them prior to spending $$ on other weak 'photo' solutions. Check them out.

-J
"My $0.02 in a world where pennies are obsolete..."
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

J - This is what I'm talking about. How well does it contain your backpacking gear and how long did it take for you to get yours?

Otherwise, I like that Exos 46 too. The F-Stop gear bag is awesome but pricey compared to the alternative.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Jeff in Oregon
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeff in Oregon »

The F-stop is s dedicated bag, though they do makedivided models as well.
IMO the only acceptable day pack, and it costs far less as well -

http://www.clikelite.com/shop/obscura/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;