Abandoned SUV near Webster Pass

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BAUMGARA
14ers: 58  6  5 
13ers: 22 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Abandoned SUV near Webster Pass

Post by BAUMGARA »

1.) Don't know the truck or the driver.
2.) Doesn't, just curious.
3.) True people get buried, I heard about the guy up in Washington state who was driving on a highway to the Cascades when a storm blew in and trapped him four days. Only difference between this story and your examples are, that this occurred on a 4WD trail that's not maintained during the winter and thus highly unlikely that this truck made it up there recently.
4.) Whenever.
5.) Yup heard about that one too.
Either way I'd love to hear the story behind all of this.
outsidemike
14ers: 32  8  3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by outsidemike »

any word from the officials yet?
"A climber's day always starts at the crux: getting out of bed."
runningstix
14ers: 12 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by runningstix »

wonder when they went up there, I cant imagine making that drive with snow, we did redcone & radical hill.....

maybe they missed the sign before the incline, though I would find it hard to miss personally.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" Steve Prefontaine
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

Ok, this has got my attention 1300 miles away from it. I bet it was stolen and dumped there. It looks like to new of an SUV to be just left there by it's owner for as long as it seems to have been there. Or the owner drove it up there, broke down, or ran out of gas, and is to embarrassed to admit it. So he abandoned it and got a new one with the insurance money after he reported it stolen. I THINK!
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

According to the local Toyota folks that 80 was abandoned up there this fall. Sounds like the FS has been in the know since the whole situation started. Prolly time to slow down on the dead body / conspiracy theories. Hopefully the owner doesn't have too bad a time getting it down this Spring. If we have learned anything from Top Gear though, it's that 'yota can and will run after virtually any amount of abuse. :D

http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/show ... hp?t=15082" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where ever you are... There you are.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Cruiser wrote:According to the local Toyota folks that 80 was abandoned up there this fall. Sounds like the FS has been in the know since the whole situation started. Prolly time to slow down on the dead body / conspiracy theories. Hopefully the owner doesn't have too bad a time getting it down this Spring. If we have learned anything from Top Gear though, it's that 'yota can and will run after virtually any amount of abuse. :D

http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/show ... hp?t=15082" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Years ago when I had to abandon my truck near Aspen, the Pitkin County Sheriff told me that it was essential that I try to recover it on my own. Not only would they charge me for the recovery effort if they had to go and get it, but I'd also get ticketed for abandoning a vehicle on FS land and would likely have to make a court appearance. Luckily, i was able to recover it with the help of an Aspen local who had done recoveries for the FS before.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Dragging broken / stuck vehicles out of danger is one of the best parts of wheeling. I love how the Rising Sun guys were bummed that they didn't have a chance to get involved with a recovery as soon as the thing got stuck.

I know if I got into that sort of a spot it'd only take one call to get a whole crew of Nissan 4x4'ers up to pull my sorry a$$ out. :mrgreen:
Where ever you are... There you are.
sivadselim
14ers: 1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sivadselim »

raptured

:shock:
rlw49
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rlw49 »

Best bet, try for a Toyota commercial, and drive it out unscathed.
BAUMGARA
14ers: 58  6  5 
13ers: 22 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BAUMGARA »

Hmmm wonder who made the call.....
Four months later (last night 11:30) the police showed up at my mom’s house asking for me. Half hour later they call my house in Denver to inquire about my truck which apparently made it’s way on to a few websites over the weekend and someone called it in. Being a fan of Rising Sun and i8mud I immediately checked and discovered the fate to date of my beloved cruiser.
greenhorn1
14ers: 5 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by greenhorn1 »

#4 There was a family of four that made a wrong turn on a logging road in Oregon several years ago... it took nine days to find the car and 11 days to find the body of the father who tried to walk out...
I guess you saw 20/20's "Wrong Turn" on Friday.
Choose only one master - Nature. Rembrandt
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Oh, huh. Here's the whole story. Interesting.

http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/show ... stcount=36