Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quandary next Friday (Feb. 18), introduction

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Quandary next Friday (Feb. 18), introduction

Postby vetmike » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:47 pm

I'm planning on attempting Quandary (East Ridge) next Friday, February 18 and wanted to find out if anyone is interested in climbing with me. I'm driving out for a conference, have Friday open, and would rather climb with a partner than solo. Gas is on me if you'd like to come and are from the Denver area (otherwise we can meet somewhere that makes sense). My plan is to either camp close to the trailhead or get an early start from the Denver area (maybe 5am or so). I'm not real picky, either option works.

On another note, I'm rather new to the 14ers.com community so here's a quick introduction. I've been climbing things for a few years now and have done a handful of 14ers (Bierstadt, Huron, Capitol) and a number of 13ers and lower peaks. Since I'm from South Dakota, I started climbing in the Bighorns and the Black Hills - both of which are stunning and rather uncrowded ranges.

I've documented some of my climbs on my website, http://intheexpanse.com.

I think this is an outstanding site and community and I look forward to participating in it!

Best regards,

-Mike

Re: Quandary next Friday (Feb. 18), introduction

Postby peter303 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:04 pm

It looks like it might stop snowing in the mountains for a whole week or more-
our traditional February dry spell. Its been snowing a lot since November.
That will make driving and snow-hiking easier.
http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/weeklyplannerusnational/usnationalweathermonday_large.html

Postby Fawkes19 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:44 pm

I am up for it if I am off that day.

Postby Okie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:15 pm

My friend and I are thinking about this saturday. Are you only on for Friday? How's the weather?

Postby Fawkes19 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 pm

I got my schedule and I am off Friday. So Friday works.

Postby vetmike » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:30 pm

Okie - I have a conference that starts on Saturday, so I have to go Friday. Otherwise I would be up for switching. In regards to weather, the SPC is saying mostly overcast skies with a 30% chance of snow. Temps could be a bit nippy at elevation - maybe -10F or so earlier in the day. Full forecast (got the link from http://100summits.com) : http://forecast.weather.gov//MapClick.php?site=DEN&textField1=39.3972&textField2=-106.1063

Sisepuede19 - I'll message you to coordinate a time/place to meet, looking forward to climbing with you!

Postby vetmike » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:43 pm

Thanks for the insight Peter, I'm hoping the dry spell holds. The NWS is predicting possible snow on Friday, but a lot seems to change this far out. Then again, winter climbing is always a game with the weather :)

-Mike

Postby rayven19 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:11 pm

A couple of us are going up the day after so if you have a chance to post weather and trail conditions it would be appreciated

Postby vetmike » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:20 am

Sounds good, I'll post a quick follow up on trail/snow conditions on this thread after we get down the mountain on Friday.

It looks like weather on Saturday will be similar to ours - a chance of snow and overcast with the day starting out with temps in the single digits, although it might be a bit warmer for you. According to http://avalanche.state.co.us, avy conditions are hanging at "Considerable" so I'm planning to stay on-route on the East Ridge and off of avy-prone slopes.

I'll let you know what I see...

Postby rayven19 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:33 am

Thanks I'll watch for a post late Friday. Good luck on your hike and hope the wind isn't too bad at the peak. :D

Postby javy20040 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:57 pm

I might be there on Saturday on my AT skis, I am planning on starting around 7:00 AM
The Mountains, my passion!
The love of the mountains is in my heart, which spreads to the blood which I bleed.
The passion of climbing is in my skin, which is shed when I sweat.
Climbing mountains isn't something that you do; it's a part of you.

Postby vistaphil » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi Mike...FYI, we were up there yesterday and east ridge snow is packed hard all the way to the top, very visible trail. We used snowshoes, but one guy had mini-spikes and smoked the trail. The guy with skins was not doing so well. Even with 55mph gusts in the forecast it was not that bad because the hard packed snow did not allow for blowing. Good luck!
"I sing my song to the wide open spaces,
I sing my heart out to the infinite sea...
I sing my visions to the sky high mountains...
I sing my song to the free, to the FREE" The Who

Next