Abandoned SUV near Webster Pass

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Abandoned SUV near Webster Pass

Post by tmathews »

Mark A Steiner wrote:Apparently the owner took the Shoe Leather Express back to, let's say, US 285. Those of you who have been to Webster Pass or Red Cone: how many miles back to 285 are we looking at? Five to ten? Where did (he) go from there? When?
According to the Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails, it's about five miles to Hwy 285.
As described here, trail is 10 miles from Montezuma to lower junction of Webster Pass and Red Cone. This portion takes about 2 hours. Add another quick 5 miles to reach Hwy. 285 on County Road 60.
Driving down Red Cone is a white knuckler! :shock:
Motown Mike
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Motown Mike »

I must have missed something... how does one know that the person walked out if you have not looked inside the car?
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Motown Mike wrote:I must have missed something... how does one know that the person walked out if you have not looked inside the car?
Hopefully the person was able to walk out (handicapped plates and all).... :shock:
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SteveBonowski »

Boggy B: since you're the person who found the car, have you called the county sheriff? I'd think it should be reported there rather than to the Forest Service.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Motown Mike wrote:Not a nice thought ... but just wondered if you opened the door and scooped the snow away to see of someone was on the floor of the car?
Didn't even try the doors. I was worried if I opened the door I wouldn't be able to get it shut again.
SteveBonowski wrote:Boggy B: since you're the person who found the car, have you called the county sheriff? I'd think it should be reported there rather than to the Forest Service.
The cold did my cell phone in so I haven't been able to make any calls since the hike.
Motown Mike
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Motown Mike »

Denver State Patrol took note of this event shortly after 11 am
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

SteveBonowski wrote:Boggy B: since you're the person who found the car, have you called the county sheriff? I'd think it should be reported there rather than to the Forest Service.
In theses situations just call someone, Sheriff, State Patrol, Forest Service. Get it in the system. They all have contact numbers for each other.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I'd expect a Texas or Kansas license plate. But its green and white.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

peter303 wrote:I'd expect a Texas or Kansas license plate. But its green and white.
Probably a transplant. :lol:
BAUMGARA
14ers: 58  6  5 
13ers: 22 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BAUMGARA »

Motown Mike wrote:Denver State Patrol took note of this event shortly after 11 am
Huh? Did you report it? CO State Patrol, you mean? I'm really not following your concern over this. I highly doubt anyone is in there and if there is, there's not much that Boggy B or anyone else could have done as it would be a recovery mission. Yes, I think it needs to be reported but I think its just one of those silly things you see in the mountains sometimes. Come spring it'll be taken on the mountain one way or another.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

BAUMGARA wrote:
Motown Mike wrote:Denver State Patrol took note of this event shortly after 11 am
Huh? Did you report it? CO State Patrol, you mean? I'm really not following your concern over this. I highly doubt anyone is in there and if there is, there's not much that Boggy B or anyone else could have done as it would be a recovery mission. Yes, I think it needs to be reported but I think its just one of those silly things you see in the mountains sometimes. Come spring it'll be taken on the mountain one way or another.
Yeah, the liklihood is that no one is in the car. But if someone is, then their family has been worrying a long time about where their loved one is and what happened to them. It's worth making a call just to be sure.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Motown Mike
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Motown Mike »

BAUMGARA wrote:
Motown Mike wrote:
Denver State Patrol took note of this event shortly after 11 am
Is this your truck?? Do you know the driver?

#1 What difference does it make who called the event to the State Patrol...

#2 Silly.... I don't think so... winter travel is dangerous... SUV's have given many a sense of false sense of security. All of the technology can't make up for common sense on where to take these vehicles and when to take them there. There were people burried in Manhattan and Lake Shore Drive in Chicago recently... no fault of their own... An abandoned SUV at 12k in the dead of winter on a notorious road seems worth an investigatio, even if all you do is check the plates and call the owner...

#3 When do you think authorities would like to make the decision to investigate this?? 11am or 5pm????

#4 There was a family of four that made a wrong turn on a logging road in Oregon several years ago... it took nine days to find the car and 11 days to find the body of the father who tried to walk out...