Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2/12 - Traver/McNamee/Clinton/Wheeler/North Star

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

2/12 - Traver/McNamee/Clinton/Wheeler/North Star

Postby mattpayne11 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:18 pm

Any takers? Looking to snowshoe in from Montgomery Lake, hit Traver, and traverse until tired. Let me know via PM if you are interested. I'll probably be traveling fairly fast, but not insane speeds. Weather looks to be 20's / 30's with -1 windchill.

Re: 2/12 - Traver/McNamee/Clinton/Wheeler/North Star

Postby Ridge runner » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:55 pm

I don't have any pictures with me, but the ridge from Wheeler to North Star will be super tricky with snow. Kiefer and I did the whole Traver to N. Star traverse last summer. The ridge between Wheeler and N. Star didn't look bad at all from a distance, so we were quite shocked at how loose and steep it got. The trickiest part would be descending down from Wheeler. We didn't have many bailout options, and my guess is there would be even less options with snow. But it sure was fun for the Mosquito Range! It would be interesting to see how it looks in winter. Good luck if you go.

Here's the thread where Kiefer posted a few pictures of that ridge.
http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28042&hilit=wheeler+north+star

Postby mattpayne11 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:58 pm

Ridge - thanks! That does look crazy. Thanks for the heads-up. My guess is that we'll stop at Clinton haha. 8)

Postby mtgirl » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Over the summer, I did a solo trip starting at Mongomery Reservoir, hiked up to Wheeler Lake, then hit Clinton/McNamee/Traver, then headed back. I'm sure you're aware, but it's a 3 mile slog up to Wheeler Lake. Perhaps I call it a slog because I've hiked that road 3 times. :cry: Adding on Wheeler and North Star might be a bit ambitious in winter conditions, but I wish you the best ! Especially with the forecasted winds !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby mattpayne11 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:50 pm

mtgirl wrote:Over the summer, I did a solo trip starting at Mongomery Reservoir, hiked up to Wheeler Lake, then hit Clinton/McNamee/Traver, then headed back. I'm sure you're aware, but it's a 3 mile slog up to Wheeler Lake. Perhaps I call it a slog because I've hiked that road 3 times. :cry: Adding on Wheeler and North Star might be a bit ambitious in winter conditions, but I wish you the best ! Especially with the forecasted winds !

Thanks! I think if I make it to Clinton etc I'll be happy :-)