Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2011 Lake City Ice Festival

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

2011 Lake City Ice Festival

Postby PKelley » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:35 pm

February 19 is the Lake City Ice Climbing Festival. This year the competition entry categories have been expanded to include both speed top rope and lead competitions for both men and women. That means that there are a total of 16 prizes/places to win in the climbing competition alone. 1st place in the men's lead competition in years past has won a 60 meter dry rope, 2nd place has won a pair of Black Diamond Express Ice Screws, and 3rd place has received three quickdraws. In the top rope event, 1st place usually wins a pair of Black Diamond Express Ice Screws, 2nd place wins a Black Diamond Half Dome Helmet, and 3rd place wins three quickdraws. Look for similar prizes in all four events this year. Entry is only $20.00, and provides you with two attempts to obtain your best time. The rules for the lead climb competition are that you must clip every fixed quickdraw on the route, with the fastest ascent of the route being the winner. You must also hit the cast iron skillet three times once you reach the top of the route to stop the clock. The same rules apply for the top rope competition, except that there is no fixed gear to clip. This is not an invitation only event like Ouray. Anyone who wishes to participate in the Lake City Festival can and will. There will be hot grilled food served at the event, and there will also be an awards ceremony after the day's competition at one of the local bars with many great door prizes. Later, another local bar will provide live music. I encourage anyone who is interested in ice climbing to come and participate. This is a celebration of Lake City's grass-roots local ice climbing park, and ice climbing in genera - not an exclusive invite-only competition for famous ice climbers. Come participate, and meet and interact with other climbers! Please feel free to contact me with any questions. All proceeds go towards expanding the Lake City Ice Climbs Park further up the Henson Creek Road and drainage.

Hope to see all of you there.

PK
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Re: 2011 Lake City Ice Festival

Postby Doug Shaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:26 am

For those who might be heading down thata way and not wanting to completely dirtbag it... there is actually a pretty cool hostel-style place to stay in Lake City now - Backcountry Basecamp. It was $40/night for the main room on Thursday night a couple weeks ago (queen bed, twin, and a futon, plus bathroom) - be sure to tell him you're ice climbing.

I understand this place was just built from the ground up within the last couple years. Still very nice and new - the pics on the website were a pretty accurate representation as of a couple weekends ago.

And thanks to Patrick and everybody else who helps run and manage and promote the Lake City Ice Park!

Postby PKelley » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:20 pm

I purchased the prizes for the 2011 Lake City Ice Climbing Festival, and there are more than $2,000.00 worth of prizes for the four categories. If you enter, you just might win. Hope to see some of you there.
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Postby globreal » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:For those who might be heading down thata way and not wanting to completely dirtbag it... there is actually a pretty cool hostel-style place to stay in Lake City now - Backcountry Basecamp. It was $40/night for the main room on Thursday night a couple weeks ago (queen bed, twin, and a futon, plus bathroom) - be sure to tell him you're ice climbing.

I understand this place was just built from the ground up within the last couple years. Still very nice and new - the pics on the website were a pretty accurate representation as of a couple weekends ago.

And thanks to Patrick and everybody else who helps run and manage and promote the Lake City Ice Park!

This is a nice place! A half dozen of us stayed there when Steve Gladbach had his winter outing up at Uncompahgre in December.

This place is more than a typical hostel. Backcountry Basecamp is really a lodge style home you get to stay in for hostel prices. Worth checking out if you are needing lodging in or around Lake City.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby PKelley » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:41 am

If you want to come participate in the Ice Festival, but are having trouble finding a place to stay, let me know. I can find a place for you to stay.

PK