Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Evans winter 14er attempt

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Evans winter 14er attempt

Postby sgladbach » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:34 pm

I'm attempting my final winter 14er on Sunday, 2/13.

Anyone who wants to hike along is welcome. I hope to meet in Grant at 6AM, combine cars, then travel up as high as possible toward Duck Lake. (3000' below summit.) Still checking on exactly how high the road is clear, but it appears within 2 miles of Guanella Pass. You have to go around Bierdstat, near the summit of Spaulding (or over it) and then spend a considerable amount of time (2 hours+) above 1400'. The Winter Warriors (14erworld group about my age, 50's or so) did this route late January 2010 and it took about 7 hours up.

Afterwards, I'd like to have dinner at the HOG HEAVEN BBQ (5:30PM?) in Bailey. They don't serve beer, but I was told we could bring our own into the restuaraunt.

Weather expected to be clear and warm. Winds?

Steve
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Re: Evans winter 14er attempt

Postby Ridge runner » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Steve,

Chances are I won't be able to make it for your winter finisher on Evans; just too much schoolwork due the next week. But if things change then I'll let you know. You are incredibly humble with all that you have achieved, and that is a very admirable trait. You deserve whatever future success comes your way.

Stephanie

Postby TomPierce » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:47 pm

Steve: Oy, I had no idea you'd be scheduling Evans so soon after Eolus...thought you'd take time off to eat a few twinkies, ya know? I've already committed with a fellow to do some Flatiron stuff this Sunday, we've been coordinating for a few weeks. Let me see what I can do, but his availability is super tight and I want to honor my plans with him.

So If I can't haul a keg up for you, my heartfelt congratulations on your accomplishment. You're a class act, dude. =D>
-Tom

Postby Gueza » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:40 pm

I'm down!

Pretty sure I can make this one, and I'll pass on that vouching letter to you.

~Eric
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby Monster5 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:21 pm

I'd like to go! I'll wait on the details and see if the mistress (homework) will allow it!
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby hollamby » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:30 pm

I'm 95% sure that i'm in. Don't see much that would hold me back in terms of my schedule right now (just want to watch the current storm and ava conditions). Friday morning I will know for sure though. (Eric you taking skis?)

Anyone want to car pool Sunday morning from the Springs?

Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Postby jameseroni » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:48 am

I'll go, and I can drive from the Denver area.

I have a Subaru WRX with all wheel drive and winter tires, I can drive at least to a certain point ;)

So, I can take at least two probably, maybe three passengers. We can throw the gear in the trunk.

James

Post up if you're down for the carpool from one of the dino lots, or PM. If we have to drive to grant to meet the bunch at 6:00am, I'm thinking meet at the dino lot at around 4:30ish.

Postby Rastaman566 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:46 am

I might be interested too. Depends if the fam wants to board at the resort that day or not. If I went I'd most likely board descent, I'll let you know.

Postby Rastaman566 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:51 am

And Yes, I may be interested in carpooling from the springs, @Hollamby. I'll PM you as it gets closer and I'm more certain on going.

Postby Brian C » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:43 am

Steve - I'd love to join on Sunday. I have a commitment but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to reschedule. Hopefully I'll see you up there!

TomPierce wrote:... to do some Flatiron stuff this Sunday ...

Tom - I'm planning on being in the Flatirons on Sat. What are you guys doing?
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby TomPierce » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:01 am

Brian C wrote:Tom - I'm planning on being in the Flatirons on Sat. What are you guys doing?

Dinosaur Rock, Der Frieschutz and Der Zerkle. Easy stuff, climbable in approach shoes.

Have a great time on Steve's gathering!

-Tom

Postby mountainmicah83 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:24 am

I guess there wouldn't be a better hike to get out for my first time with the infamous sgladbach on. I have been up in the air on this coming weekend so I think I will go. From the timelines given it seems like the planned summit time is noon?
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Next