Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looking for a partner for Elbert on 2/6

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Looking for a partner for Elbert on 2/6

Postby Tripper » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:15 pm

Just arrived in CO for a ski-week and was looking to climb Elbert before I fly home to NJ.

I'll be driving into the Leadville area from Telluride on Sat... so I'm thinking a AM start on Sun.

(though I have toyed with the idea of a Sat evening start and camp... w/ a Sunday finish... the wicked cold forecast this week has got me backing away from that option...)

Depending upon conditions later in the week... I'm thinking Quandary would be an option also...

Anyone interested?

Re: Looking for a partner for Elbert on 2/6

Postby Brian Thomas » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:54 am

I may be interested in joining you for Elbert, not so much for Quandary as I hiked that recently. What time were you planning to start Sunday?
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby nova972 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:11 am

I might be up for Elbert if someone is coming through summit county and wouldn't mind picking me up on the way.
I have to admit though that if the weather is looking brutal I'll probably pass. I assume you are planning on skiing it right?

Postby Brian Thomas » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:28 am

I will be on snowshoes, not skis. Tentatively planning to car-camp in the area Saturday night to get an early start.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Tripper » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:52 pm

B-Thom: I had not set any time yet... 'cuz part of the schedule would be based on the weather... and whether or not I'd be hiking alone. If you end up coming along... I am open to your experience w/ Elbert for start-time and such.. especially since it looks like the exisitng conditions reports are going to be rendered void in the next 48-72 hrs...

I had thought about car camping (as an option to be sure I got to the TH early enough in the AM..) - but, if I'll be coming in a std rental car (2WD w/ no great clearance) so the condition of the road to the TH could have a big impact (and this pending storm has got me nervous about how close I would be able to drive).
I was also thinking about staying at the Hostel and getting a shuttle drop ... as close as they can get... which I assume would be closet that I could get on my own..
(Any experience w/ the Hostel and their shuttle capabilities in winter?)

nova972: No... I'm coming in to hike up & down. As for picking you up... don't know where summit county is.. but when done w/ Elbert I'll (more than likely) be driving to CO Springs....

From the weather forecast - it looks like I ~will~ be using my snowshoes (I expect the pending snow will bury any existing trench) and I'll have microspikes packed in case they are needed for traction where SSs don't make sense....

Postby Tripper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:55 am

Just a 'bump' on the topic... in last day(s) to find a partner for Elbert (or Quandary) or settle my solo plans for Pikes

Postby Brian Thomas » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Join us tomorrow on Shavano :) Sunday looks to be some wild and wooley weather in the northern Sawatch.

Postby HarknessHooligans » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:24 pm

On Superbowl Sunday!???

Postby Carl » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:55 pm

HarknessHooligans wrote:On Superbowl Sunday!???

I'd take playing in the mountains over watching TV anytime. :D

Starting to think about skiing Quandary on Sunday. Was hoping to ski something a little more interesting but the forecast does look quite cold, snowy, and windy.

Postby tmathews » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:56 pm

Wesley wrote:I'd take playing in the mountains over watching TV anytime. :D

This. Plus, the game's on prime time, so you have plenty of time in the morning and afternoon to get outside!

Postby Tripper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:18 pm

B-Thom wrote:Join us tomorrow on Shavano :) Sunday looks to be some wild and wooley weather in the northern Sawatch.

When I saw that thread re; plans for Sunday... I was thinking of jumping in... but now that it's moved to Sat - I can't do it. (I am in Telluride right now... and won't have 'wheels' in Montrose unil ~ 11am saturday..)
Last edited by Tripper on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Tripper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:21 pm

HarknessHooligans wrote:On Superbowl Sunday!???

Absolutely! Ever since the Jets got knocked out.. I have no interest in the game...

(In reality - I didn't have any interest beforehand either... but - being from Jersey - figured I should be somewhat indignant about it... :roll: )