Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Blanca Massif

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Blanca Massif

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:13 am

Thought I'd share this shot of the Blanca Massif at dawn, taken January 23, 2011.

Re: Blanca Massif

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:21 am

As always, you have fantastic shots!

Postby MUni Rider » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:19 am

Wonderful, once again.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby mountainmicah83 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:17 am

I bet it is 50 below with wind chill up there right now!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby traderaaron » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 am

mountainmicah83 wrote:I bet it is 50 below with wind chill up there right now!

Air temp is likely near what it is on the eastern plains where I am, wind chill is likely lower though.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:32 am

mountainmicah83 wrote:I bet it is 50 below with wind chill up there right now!

I went to the gas station yesterday. I started to pump gas and got back in the car, my thumb hurting from the windchill.

Then I thought about climbing all that warm rock at 14,000 feet up there last Saturday with no gloves, right?

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:54 am

Fine shot indeed.

One thing I noticed in my travels along US 285, 50, 550 and Colorado 145 is a diminishing snow pack since Christmas. Tha Blanca Massif shows this to be true as well.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby huffy13 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Awesome picture! I love the Blanca Massif and it's prominence over the San Luis Valley. It's really no wonder why the natives consider it as such a significant site. Just awesome, thanks for sharing that.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:14 pm

Mark A Steiner wrote:Fine shot indeed.

One thing I noticed in my travels along US 285, 50, 550 and Colorado 145 is a diminishing snow pack since Christmas. Tha Blanca Massif shows this to be true as well.

That may be about to change, as the CAIC weather suggests the Sangre may be favored with this week's storm.

Glad to have taken advantage of the opportunity, though. Blanca TR up, one more on the way...

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:16 pm

huffy13 wrote:Awesome picture! I love the Blanca Massif and it's prominence over the San Luis Valley. It's really no wonder why the natives consider it as such a significant site. Just awesome, thanks for sharing that.

You're welcome. More at the Blanca TR from 1-23-11, just posted earlier today.

No kidding, some of the coolest views are in the southern Sangre looking out to the Valley. I love that, too.

Thanks again for you kind complements.