Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Rainier - 1 June though 6 June

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Mt. Rainier - 1 June though 6 June

Postby Redleg Bruce » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:55 pm

Waiting to hear back from my potential climbing partner, but the dates I am shooting for are 1 June through 6 June. Flight I am looking at leaves from Denver for Seattle at 0945 and arrives at 1400. Round trip tickets are just under $270 from Southwest and if we summit in two days and get back we don't have to pay a fee to change flights to head back to Denver early. Rental car that should hold 4 people and their gear is going to be $220, so $55 if split four ways(assuming they don't have a federal government rate that is lower that the $220). Cheap for trans between the flight and the car if you ask me at only $325 per person. Gas would be split and food/equipment would obviously be an individual responsibility. I do have a four season tent, a Black Diamond HiLite that holds two, so if someone wants to pair up with me that would be fine. At this point I am not set on any route, though I know my partner has one in mind. I ordered a book on routes on Rainier through Amazon and should have it within a week I hope - it supposedly has over 40 route descriptions. If my partner confirms that he is 100% in I am going to book my tickets within a week and reserve a car from Dollar, as they offered the best rates. As warm up hikes I want to do Lost Rat Couloir on Grays and, if the conditions are good enough by the end of May, Holy Cross Couloir on Mt. of the Holy Cross, along with other regular hikes up 13ers/14ers in April/May. Hit me up if interested via PM or just here on the thread and we'll make it happen.
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!

Re: Mt. Rainier - 1 June though 6 June

Postby climbing_rob » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:07 pm

Have fun and train hard and be safe!

One lesson learned having rented numerous cars at SEA-TAC, not all the rental car companies have their cars situated at the airport. Avis does, or at least did last year. If Dollar does not, this might add on some significant time with shuttles, so if Dollar only saves a few bucks and does NOT have cars on site, you might reconsider. A pal of mine wasted a ton of time on his trip last year. I cannot remember his car rental company, but they didn't have what he reserved (common practice), and it all turned into a huge hassle and time sink.

We always have a tight schedule flying from Denver, why waste time: Fly to SEA on a morning flight, make a quick stop at the Tacoma REI (right off the interstate) to buy fuel for the stoves, drive 2-3 hours to the t/h, gear up and head up to your first camp that afternoon. TONS of daylight up there in June/July, light until 10pm. But if you waste too much time at SEATAC messing with el-cheapo rental cars, you start eating into approach hiking time. There's also the Ranger check-in station hours to consider (4:00pm latest? check this).

Just my $0.02 having climbed this fantastic mountain numerous times.

Re: Mt. Rainier - 1 June though 6 June

Postby Redleg Bruce » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:25 pm

Will look into the rental car situation, thanks a lot for that. I also put up an extra $32 and got a flight that not only gets there 3 1/2 hours earlier but is also non-stop, so no worries about them losing the luggage on the way there, or should I say less worries. Thanks again for that. If these dates work for anyone else let me know and I'll give you the flight numbers so that we can all try to get on the same flight.
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!