Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Engelmann, Robeson, Bard, Parnassus, Woods 12/26

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Engelmann, Robeson, Bard, Parnassus, Woods 12/26

Postby Boggy B » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:03 pm

NOAA calls for sunny skies and calm winds near Empire on Sunday. I've been wanting to hit this group (tried twice, actually--stormed out both times) for months. And of course now I'm without a vehicle. I assume they plow to the Urad mine all winter so anything with more than a few inches of clearance ought to make it.

It will be somewhat difficult in winter, mostly due to overall mileage, gain, and likely trail-breaking up Ruby Creek (but I'll take care of that). Here's a summer TR:
http://rockymountainraider.blogspot.com/2009/07/ruby-creek-mega-traverse-engelman-peak.html

Any interest?

I may just bribe my sister out of her car for the day.

Re: Engelmann, Robeson, Bard, Parnassus, Woods 12/26

Postby killingcokes » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:24 pm

There is a road up Ruby Creek that sees a lot of foot traffic in the winter, it's gated too. You can make it to this trailhead easily yearround. You shouldn't have to "BREAK" all that much. You should be able to find a nice path that's avy safe up Woods pretty easily, then just run the ridge. The west facing ribs coming off Robeson were free of snow the other day, so your exit shouldn't be too much of a problem either.

Have fun. If you could get a picture looking down the NNW Gully of Robeson for me I'd appreciate it.

Postby Boggy B » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:39 pm

Thanks for the info! Last time I was up there Engelmann had some snow on the west aspect, so I haven't been sure what to expect. I did have to put in a trench up the road, but maybe it was a bit early for ski traffic (mid November).

Sis took my money so this is happening. I'll get some photos if I don't forget, just shoot me a reminder Sunday evening and I'll send them your way.

Postby Greenhouseguy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:13 pm

Here's a picture of the gate at the bottom of Ruby Creek Rd., across from the Urad Mine:

I'm not sure exactly where the extreme avalanche danger is, but you might want to check a topo map before you head out.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby killingcokes » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:16 pm

http://makingturns.com/?p=1075

There are a few pics from Wood's NE Trees. We couldn't get up Woods because we couldn't see s**t when we got to tree line. Robeson's West side is in the background of the skiing pics. Heading back up Woods on Monday hopefully. Keep an eye on the avy path on your right in the 1st 1/2 mile but otherwise you should be ok

Postby Boggy B » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Once you get up out of the trees there's a road that follows a broad "shelf" up the E side of Woods' NE ridge. The slope angle is pretty low (20-ish). I turned around at 12000' as I couldn't see anything, but on the topo it goes nearly to the ridge crest, with a steeper but short (100' or so) section to gain the ridge.

Postby Monster5 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:31 am

Boggy B - Did you make it? Good route?
"Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man." - Walter Bonatti

Postby Boggy B » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:19 pm

Hey, didn't see your message. Yep, working on a TR (still). It was a tough day but very rewarding!