Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rainier in June

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Rainier in June

Postby highcomm » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:37 pm

My friend and I are planning to climb Rainier the last week of June. I am from Massachusetts and he is from Maine. Plan on doing the Emmons Route. We are looking for a couple of people to join us.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."

Re: Rainier in June

Postby Dave B » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:04 pm

highcomm wrote:My friend and I are planning to climb Rainier the last week of June. I am from Massachusetts and he is from Maine. Plan on doing the Emmons Route. We are looking for a couple of people to join us.

My GF and I might be interested, though I have to ask why you settled on June? From when I lived in Oregon, it seemed like the weather was pretty hit or miss until about the 4th of July and then pretty consistently good from there on out (albeit a more crowded good).

We've got a tentative trip planned for early/mid July and were thinking Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams but would probably be up for Rainier instead but probably couldn't do June.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby kushrocks » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:15 pm

If anyone is up for going in early August that is when I will be attempting a one day summit attempt from Paradise to the Summit and back on the Dissapointment Cleaver route. Sounds be an amazing time. Im a closed weather nerd and I agree with the other poster that its pretty hit or miss in June but July and August bring the warmest and most clear days to go up Rainier. Good luck.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby Kiefer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:36 pm

kushrocks wrote:If anyone is up for going in early August that is when I will be attempting a one day summit attempt from Paradise to the Summit and back on the Dissapointment Cleaver route. Sounds be an amazing time. Im a closed weather nerd and I agree with the other poster that its pretty hit or miss in June but July and August bring the warmest and most clear days to go up Rainier. Good luck.

Since Denali is now out, Steph and I have been talking about Rainier as well. Though more like late May/early June at the latest.
I don't want to be on a glacier that late in the season (August) unless it's unavoidable.
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby Redleg Bruce » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Kiefer wrote:Since Denali is now out, Steph and I have been talking about Rainier as well. Though more like late May/early June at the latest.
I don't want to be on a glacier that late in the season (August) unless it's unavoidable.

I am planning on this time frame and would be flying from Denver to Sea-Tac. I'm ready to buy plane tickets now, so let me know what dates you're interested in and we can get the ticket part out of the way and focus on the rest of the planning. I am looking at last week of May/first week of June. There is also someone else that contacted me that will be there with someone, so I was planning to meet them out there, as they will already be in the area.
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!