Mt Kilimanjaro and Colorado

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highcomm
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Kilimanjaro and Colorado

Post by highcomm »

Hey Rptraveler - the medical care in Tanzania was dirt cheap. Total for the two days was about $150.00. We were told to bring plenty of cash in case something happened but we never dreamed it would be that inexpensive. Of course, it was far from being the kind of medical care that we have in the U.S. As a matter of fact, it was downright scary at times - hot as hell and no A.C., rooster crowing outsidethe window. short-staffed. etc...
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
rptraveller
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rptraveller »

Highcomm - Hi, so you did not need / have/ / use your trip insurance for the medical expenses in Tanzania?
HackerCO
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HackerCO »

I'm jumping into this thread a bit late, but I also am planning a trip to Kili this year. My kitchen pass is for October though--flexible on the route, etc. If that works for anyone else, I'd love to combine forces.

I also live in CO, so anyone heading this way and looking for a day hike on a 14er, drop me a PM--my personal goal this year is to climb a 14er each month (and do Barr Trail up and back).
highcomm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcomm »

rptraveller - since medical expenses were only $150 we paid out of pocket.

hackerco - I climbed Kilimanjaro this past October. Here's some beta on October weather - we only saw the saw the sun two times/day, early morning and just before sunset. All other times it was either foggy, raining, snowing, or otherwise damp. I brought a solar charger for my Blackberry. Needless to say, my Blackberry went dead.
rptraveller
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rptraveller »

HackerCO - After reading up on a lot of websites, I am leaning towards a New Years' dya summit. I would like to do crater camp, eother before or after the summit (not decided that yet). I am currently rehab-ing a foot injury and reading up on Kili - Stedman's book.. Do keep me posted re your plans - who knows what might happne?

highcomm - Thanks for letting me know abt the med exp.

Thanks
Rae
bif
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bif »

you guy always have to mention a book
"reading up on Kili - Stedman's book"

and then I have to go buy it, last week it was Lou Dawson's Guide to Colorado's Fourteeners. today is is Stedman's ;Kilimanjaro - a trekking guide to Africa's highest mountain, 3rd; (includes Mt Meru and city guides to Nairobi, Dar es Salaam, Arusha, Moshi and Marangu) ok I ordered it, it will be here is 3 - 5 days.

Thanks
bif
seejanerun1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by seejanerun1 »

Rae,

Late and long post but we have some good info for you. My husband and I trekked Kilimanjaro from September 18-24, 2010. We did a lot of research before deciding on dates (September is the one of the dry months…I would definitely recommend dry and dusty over rain and mud). We climbed Mt. Elbert twice and Mt. Sherman once at the end of July, first of August 2010 time frame…about 6 weeks prior to the trip. We thought that both these climbs were harder than Kili. We used the 14ers as a confidence builder as well as a test drive for the Diamox (altitude sickness prevention medicine) for me since I feel altitude in Denver. What got me on Kili was a bout of the dreaded TD (traveler’s diarrhea) two days prior to the summit. I was saved with Cipro, Immodium and Pepto Bismol. My strong recommendation is to pay a little extra ($10 per day or so?) and get a private toilet. I don’t know if that was where I got sick but I can tell you at 2 a.m. when you wake up with your 15 layers on and you have to pee and it’s freezing outside, you would be so happy to walk a few feet to your private toilet with a place to sit down and do your business instead of stumbling to the outhouse with poop and pee on the floor (don’t slip and slide into the hole) and squatting (don’t forget your head torch so your hands are free!!). I did recover and we made it to Uhuru Peak. We would definitely recommend Henry Stedman’s book and website (http://www.climbmountkilimanjaro.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and Team Kilimanjaro (http://www.teamkilimanjaro.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Jonas Gerald was our lead guide and I can’t say enough great things about him and his crew. Trekking in the dark was fine on summit day. There was a full moon (September 22) and the guides and porters sang to us while we trekked. Our group of 11 had a 100% successful summit rate. We used the Unique Rongai route with stops at Mawenzi and School Huts prior to summit night. We exited the park at the Marangu gate. We also went on a photo safari after the Kili trek…..if you have time it was absolutely awesome. We got travel insurance through Travel Guard but didn’t have to use it. Hope this helps and best of luck!
globalgirl
Trip Reports (0)

Post by globalgirl »

I climbed Kilimanjaro last year with Boulder-based Adventures Within Reach. My guide Kajeli was absolutely the most patient and kind person on the planet! One benefit with booking a Kili climb with AWR is the condo in Breckenridge you can use for up to 4 days to climb Colorado 14ers during the summer! A great training program.
highcomm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcomm »

My wife and I climbed Kilimanjaro this past October with Tusker Trails. They were excellent. Guides were trained as High Altitude First Responders (HAFR) which came in very handy when my wife got very sick on the summit. Regarding training - hike, hike, hike...The best way to prepare for a big hike is to hike a lot.