Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climbers from Flat States

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Climbers from Flat States

Postby 14RBND » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:17 pm

My wife and I usually are in the San Juans every summer between July 2nd and the 14th and take our time getting up in elevation. We live in Largo Florida at 14 feet and try and get up to 12k the first few days and hit the 14ers by the last few days of our trip. Looking forward to relocating out west in another 543 days but whose counting.!!

Postby huffy13 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:19 pm

I a m pretty lucky in that even though I am out of state, I can be in parts of the Sangres in about 5 hours, the Sawatch and parts of the Front Range in about 7. Being up the Texas Panhandle near Amarillo, I am not too far at all. I usually take at least 1 trip a summer with the kids to bag a 14er or two, once each summer at lest I meet some friends from Denver and we'll make an attempt for a slightly harder 14er, and a couple of times I have headed to the mountains while the wife and kids are in Ohio visiting the in-laws. I try to make at least two trips a year and on a good year 3 or 4.

The plan for this next summer is my son and I are going to take his cross country team on a "team-building" hike of Pikes Peak from Crag's Campground in late July, then hopefully a trip to Breck in August for an attempt of Quandary with my youngest daughter joining us for her first summit. And then if I am lucky, another trip in October to Breck for a wedding and, if I can fit it in, find a good hike in the vicinity. (Doesn't have to be a 14er).

If any of these dates are going to coincide with your trips, PM me and maybe something can be worked out. I work shift work so some of these may end up falling in the middle of the week. Hope you have a great hiking season regardless!
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby Bullwinkle » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:44 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:
Fred North wrote:There are so many great ways to experience the beauty of the Rockies and challenge yourself I encourage people to not make 14ers their only option.

Sssshhhh... we are *really* trying to keep that a secret!

Don't listen to him folks! Stick to the 14ers... do them all in summer, fall, spring and winter, from every route possible, as a team and then solo. Ski and snowboard them. Then ski and snowboard them in every month, solo. Then do them all in rollerskates. The possibilities are endless!

The other 5,000 peaks in the state really have nothing to offer :D

LOL! I started hiking just for sport, without regard to 14er status, when I'd find some interesting territory, I'd just buy a quadrangle, and head out. 14ers, of late, have become de rigueur. So being a slave to fashion, I set some modest 14er goals for someone traveling very long distances from low elevation. From overseas, I'd only get a week per year in CO and, of that, maybe a day or two away from family to hike. Now back in the states, I get to CO twice per year (usually one drive; one fly). Allowing for family time, some ranching time, fewer available doubles, and tougher, more remote TH, I can still only get in 4-6 per summer. I'd like to accelerate the schedule, but that would require relocation back to CO or some family compromises that would be unwise. The fact that I get to do this at all is still a joy.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Postby Roald » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:51 pm

I am fortunate that my dad decided to move to Grand Junction (Palisade) when he retired about 20 years ago. This means I have a free place to stay, free meals, and decent 4WD to use while I'm out there. I've been out there for 7 to 10 days every September since he moved out there, and since about 2005 I've been banging out 14ers, with an occasional 2nd trip during the year when time allows it. I go for maximum physical abuse and have been getting 5-7 done on each trip. Before I got into the 14er stuff, I spent each visit on some sort of multi-day backpacking trip - Four Pass Loop, Holy Cross/7 sisters, Mt Zirkel, Gore Range, Copper Lake, and everywhere between Lake City and Ouray. I'll definitely be heading out again this year. You're welcome to come along.

I am in Carmel most of the year. Where in Indy do you live?
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby 1203ecc » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:26 pm

We're in North Alabama/Georgia, its a 29 hour drive. We pull a pop up camper and most of our food to make the trips less expensive. We've done a lot of back country hiking, but mostly target the 14ers now. We're fortunate to be able to take off weeks at a time too.

Postby peter303 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:25 pm

My I offer my pity and condolences.

On the other hand, my friends in coastal cities dont understand my desire to see a beach
and swim in the ocean. I only get that opportunity a few times a year :(

Postby irish95 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:44 pm

Wow! Most ever Hoosier posts in one thread? I live in Indianapolis, originally from northeast Kansas. Grew up vacationing in CO and worked a couple summers in Grand Lake. Usually make it out at least twice/year, once for family vacation and once to climb/backpack. Having this website has really helped facilitate climbing some of the harder peaks. Thanks Bill!

Postby jimlup » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Yeah, finally a flatlander thread! I've been feeling like I was the only one. I'm from Michigan, climbed my first 14er (Mt. Yale) in July 2006 and I've been addicted ever since. I spend at least 2 weeks in Colorado each summer and would like to pick off a winter 14er this year but am having some staging issues. I've climbed 21 14ers (22 including Rainier in Washington St). I've done 2 semi-technical climbs of Longs, and I'm trying to get into a position to start a 6 month countdown to Denali but it doesn't look like it is in the cards this year. I generally do well at altitude but I need 2 to 3 days to make the transition and be ready to go to 14,000'

Hey anyone headed out in February? I need to be in Colorado Feb 22 - Feb 28. My plan was to ski the 23rd - 26 then climb on the 27th. I'm having a hard time filling in the details and would love to try to arrange some ride sharing or something. If by chance you might be able to share ride one way or both just PM me.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...

Postby Moboy56 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:50 pm

i'm from Mo. and try to get out there at least once a year. i've only gotten up 2 14ers, but i went up Grizzly peak Jan. 13. Hawking winds, and blowing snow, loved it!. most likely i'll do snow climbs from now on. i'll get some training for that on Rainier in June with RMI.
dw
“The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”
Jack London

Postby ClimberDave » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:22 am

Houston here (22' above sea level). I've been going up to Colorado for camping and skiing since I was very young. I don't need a map to get to Colorado or around most of the state. I've been hiking and doing back country camping up there forever but I've only got into climbing in the last several years. I try to make a late spring and late summer trip each year. Last year, I was busy with a newborn so I could only make my late summer trip. This year my younger brother is interrupting my trip by getting married in Vegas. But I'm probably going to try and extend that into a California 14er trip.

Altitude isn't really a problem for me. I have a slight loss of appetite and that's about it.

Postby MRottmann » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:11 am

I'm originally from Indy. Have lived in Iowa and Florida and now live in Georgia (Atlanta area). 2009 was my first visit to CO. for climbing. Made two trips to climb 14ers last year. My brother who lives in Indy got me involved in this obsession. Looked into the possibility of moving to Denver at the end of last year, but it didn't work out. Maybe in the future? We (my brother and me) are currently trying to figure out how many trips we can do this year and when. May not be able to afford two this time around. Would like to bring wife and kids out so they can see what I've been talking about.

Postby Cruiser » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:16 am

I grew up in New Orleans below sea level. I came out to CO once to do some hiking quite a few years ago and I was hooked. After I met my wife we moved out here permanantly. IMO that was a good strategy. :D
Where ever you are... There you are.

PreviousNext