Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Caloric Intake (food that doesn't freeze)

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Winter Caloric Intake (food that doesn't freeze)

Postby jrbren_vt » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:53 am

Bagels (cinnamon raisin is my flavor of choice) & Twix bars. My philosophy is if I can't stay warm whenever I stop I do not belong on the mountain (also read I have inadequate gear/clothing). What if I get an injury from a slip or fall and have to stop ? I always have an oversized down parka with Kenny sized hood at the top of my pack so I can quickly throw it on whenever I want to stop. I learned that from an RMI trip and adapted it to all of my cold weather hikes and it has served me well. I also like Bagels in summer as they do not get crushed or crumble like regular bread. Basically they are carb bombs. Fueling should be even more important for folks in the high hills of Colorado as the body spends more energy trying to acclimatize as well as doing the mountain travel, one piece of the puzzle we do not have to worry about in the east. But I view the body as a furnace, my layers as a way to trap that heat, and the furnace don't run without fuel.

Edited to add ALL food will freeze eventually, if it is cold enough, which is a good argument for keeping some of it in your pockets near your body to keep it a tad warmer, rather then in your pack.

Timely topic as we are expecting a couple of 5 dog nights in Vermont this weekend, even at Lake Champlain level (95 feet above sea level). I think I am staying near home and my woodstove :) .
Best Regards - John

Postby greenhorn1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:37 am

Little Debbie Oatmeal Pies and Chocolate Cakes are good for cold weather - they don't freeze up and can be found at most gas stations on the way to the trail.
Choose only one master - Nature. Rembrandt

Postby JsinDeAZ » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:17 am

Go with the elements. If I have to break a few teeth on a clif bar jaw breaker, so be it. Though recently, I'll stop at McDs on the day before. McDoubles could probably last for 10 years and never change consistency.

Postby hatidua » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:50 am

JsinDeAZ wrote: Though recently, I'll stop at McDs on the day before. McDoubles could probably last for 10 years and never change consistency.

Apparently, they can go well longer than that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYyDXH1amic

Postby hotrod » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:51 pm

When I was involved with wolf recovery and some trapping in Wisconsin in the 90's, one of the best baits that the wolves loved was a Big Mac that had been put into a jar for a month, in warm weather, to ferment. Luckily I never had to scoop it out, and I would probably gag if I did. (a little off-topic, I guess, but interesting trivia).
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.

Postby Dex » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:55 pm

I have a small stuff sack attached to the front of my backpack harness for easy access. I put some gorp in a zip lock bag and powerbar nut blends - they don't freeze.
This year I'm going to try stopping and making some hot chocolate.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:08 pm

George James wrote:I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa...

Huge fan of the cold cuts and cheese here as well, but rather than just settle on the salami I often step it up to a little sumthin more. Nothin like some fresh prosciutto or hot capicola, paired with a nice havarti perhaps, to keep you goin. If you can't get up enough of an appetite to munch on some good prosciutto there's either something seriously wrong, or you're the grilled cheese and spinach type.

:lol:

Great!
I never thought of gourmet food. I'll have to try the imported proscuitto - perhaps with some hard provolone - maybe a gourmet sandwich with these, tomatoes dripping in olive oil and oregano, antipasto. Hell, forget the peak - we're going to dinner! : )

Seriously, I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:27 am

Dex wrote:This year I'm going to try stopping and making some hot chocolate.

Nothing wrong with stopping to make hot cocoa, but... I prefer to make it at home in the morning while I'm eating breakfast, pour it in a Thermos, and pack it in the internal pocket of my pack usually reserved for my camel-bak water supply (which I don't use in the winter for obvious reasons). Putting it in that pocket keeps it upright, close to your body, and insulated, where it's less subject to cooling from outside temps.

I also make two liters of boiling Gator-Ade from powder. One goes in the camel-bak pocket under the hot chocolate, and the other goes in an insulated parka (not the jacket parka, the zippered container parka), on my pack. When I get to the trailhead, I have a nice hot beverage - Gator-Ade - for the hike up. I drink the hot chocolate on the summit, then swap out my Nalgenes so I have another warm drink for the hike down. The Nalgenes cool to luke warm during the hike, but that hot chocolate stays steaming hot the whole day.

The cocoa and Gator-Ade add calories, electrolytes, and simple carbs for energy. Plus, the great taste and warm temperature urge me to actually *drink* them, so I don't get dehydrated, which I find to be a bigger issue in colder temps when I don't feel as thirsty and so am prone to not drink as much as I should. I make a point of finishing all three liters.

For food, I'm also a fan of bagels (or tortillas), cold cuts, and cheese sandwiches - spiced up with chipotle mayo - for my summit lunch. And yes, I always have my down jacket handy for that occasion. Not stopping to eat because it's too cold out is rarely an option!

For protein and energy bars, and sweet snacks prone to freezing, I carry them in one of those little travel money bags that go around your neck, tucked between my fleece and base layer. This keeps them accessible - and pliable, from my body heat.

Back at the car, I have a cold container of chocolate milk or a chocolate protein shake, for extra hydration. And a bag of chips, of course, for the salt!

I think having these little "food & drink routines" really keep me going when I'm feeling a bit dragged down... like knowing there's a liter of hot cocoa and a turkey and cheese bagel sandwich on the summit, and a bag of Fritos at the trailhead. Plus, the ongoing snacking and drinking keep me energized, and warm me up from the inside out. Cold weather hiking is tough - whatever you can do to make it more pleasant is worth the extra preparation!

Postby greenhorn1 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:23 pm

I like the idea of using a money bag to hold extra food prone to hardening. I may try it myself for an upcoming race in Feb.
Choose only one master - Nature. Rembrandt

Postby Dex » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:54 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:
Dex wrote:This year I'm going to try stopping and making some hot chocolate.

Nothing wrong with stopping to make hot cocoa, but...

Back at the car, I have a cold container of chocolate milk or a chocolate protein shake, for extra hydration. And a bag of chips, of course, for the salt!

One thing I'm stopping for it to get me to slow down. I hike by myself and am on the slow side but I tend not to stop. So I hit the trail get to the top and turn around. I got one a Soto stove and will be trying it out when I get to Colorado in late Feb or Mar.

I keep a protein drink in the car for when I return. I think from your previous advise.
Thanks
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby MUni Rider » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:03 pm

EatinHardtack wrote:Pop tarts do not freeze, although they crumble. Chicken Tenders are great at altitude and so is Pizza. +1 on carrying food in your pockets to munch on the ascent. I started with orange slices but moved onto another candy that doesn't have granulated sugar on the outside that gets into my pockets; gummie bears, etc.

I thought for sure you would have suggested hardtack.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby hotrod » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Something I make for skiing or winter camping probably sounds gross, but it actually is very tasty and a great source of calories. I let real butter get soft at room temperature and then mix it with equal parts of powdered sugar with a fork. Then I use a small meatball scoop to form balls, or else spread it flat and cut it into squares. When it is cold it is still edible, and one before bed warms up the engine.

Peanut butter cups work well also, and I will have to try the Kit Kats mentioned in a precious post. Has anyone tried Twix? Or would the caramel be too hard?
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.

PreviousNext