Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Caloric Intake (food that doesn't freeze)

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Winter Caloric Intake (food that doesn't freeze)

Postby jtrenary1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:19 pm

When I go out for a winter ascent, whether on 14ers or on mountains out east, I always find myself running low on energy because I have trouble finding food that is easy to eat in really cold weather. I'm just looking for suggestions so let me hear em.

Re: Winter Caloric Intake (food that doesn't freeze)

Postby Kojones » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:22 pm

There might be some 'obvious' answers out there - but the most interesting to me that I have seen and done is Salami. High in fat and calories (not the highest), and stays good without refrigeration. Also - a lot better than some bars or artificial foods.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby smoove » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:30 pm

I have my outer pockets stuffed with small-ish stuff that's easy to access and eat quickly. Cashew/M&M mix, cookies, candy bars that don't freeze (like Kit Kats), Uncrustables, Pop Tarts, those Clif Shot Bloks, and a gel flask filled with Hammer gel. I also keep most of this stuff in cargo pockets riding up against my hott thighs.

Postby wooderson » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:13 pm

smoove wrote:I have my outer pockets stuffed with small-ish stuff that's easy to access and eat quickly. Cashew/M&M mix, cookies, candy bars that don't freeze (like Kit Kats), Uncrustables, Pop Tarts, those Clif Shot Bloks, and a gel flask filled with Hammer gel. I also keep most of this stuff in cargo pockets riding up against my hott thighs.

+1 on keeping food in your pockets. I tend to not like to stop for very extended periods in winter because you get cold so quickly standing still. If I can't access my food easily, I'm likely to not eat enough.

Kit Kats are a good non-freezable option, as are Reece's PB cups. Pretty much avoid anything with caramel. Another staple I like to bring are orange slices... the sugar-coated gummy variety, that is. I can't stomach those gels but these things seem to deliver a nice burst of energy for me.

Postby pstew85 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Nut butter (peanut, almond, sunflower). U can also buy it in individual packets similar to energy gels.

Postby Snowgirl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:56 pm

My latest backcountry ski go-to lunch is a grilled cheese & spinach sandwich. Make it at home (it's not warm... which is a small bummer) but it's all the fat, carbs, protien, vit & minerals I could ever want, in one convenient package. **Note, I have NOT tried this below 0*F... things might get interesting after that. Added bonus: You can eat it without taking off your mittens.
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby Dave B » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:17 pm

The alltime trail snack I can't go on without anymore (this was my girlfriends brilliant idea BTW) is bratwursts in buns.

Before we leave in the morning we boil 4-5 for about 10 minutes, drain the water and sear to brown each side and then toast them in the bun for a few minutes in the same pot. We then cut them in half and bag em up.

It sounds weird, but in all honesty I (we) haven't found anything that comes as close to satisfying as these, we just kind of snack on them all day. When we did the Four Pass loop in the Elks we cooked two packages and ate pretty much nothing but.

I also just bought a nice thermos for ski tours and snow shoeing that I plan on filling with piping hot tomato soup before leaving the house.

Oh yeah, Pringles pretty much kick-ass too. I carried a can with me down to Argentina last month and enjoyed them at high camp on Aconcagua - I've never enjoyed food more, especially after 10 days of crappy expedition food.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby bonehead » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:32 pm

As for lunch, he pressed his hand against the protruding bundle under his jacket. It was also under his shirt, wrapped up in a handkerchief and lying against the naked skin. It was the only way to keep the biscuits from freezing. He smiled agreeably to himself as he thought of those biscuits, each cut open and sopped in bacon grease, and each enclosing a generous slice of fried bacon.

"To Build a Fire"
Jack London

Postby randalmartin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:39 pm

+1 on carrying things in inside pockets to keep warm. Hard Boiled Eggs are another treat that have a excellent amino acid/protein profile.

Postby George James » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:41 pm

I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa...

Huge fan of the cold cuts and cheese here as well, but rather than just settle on the salami I often step it up to a little sumthin more. Nothin like some fresh prosciutto or hot capicola, paired with a nice havarti perhaps, to keep you goin. If you can't get up enough of an appetite to munch on some good prosciutto there's either something seriously wrong, or you're the grilled cheese and spinach type.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby EatinHardtack » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:30 pm

Pop tarts do not freeze, although they crumble. Chicken Tenders are great at altitude and so is Pizza. +1 on carrying food in your pockets to munch on the ascent. I started with orange slices but moved onto another candy that doesn't have granulated sugar on the outside that gets into my pockets; gummie bears, etc.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby hatidua » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:46 pm

I recall arriving on the summit of a 14'er last summer and a couple that got there shortly thereafter started eating a pizza they pulled from their pack. Yes, I was highly envious!

Next