Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Manitou Incline Alternatives Public Meeting 10/21

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Re: Manitou Incline Alternatives Public Meeting 10/21

Postby d_baker » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:46 am

CO Native wrote:
d_baker wrote:The dogs don't bother me. It's the owners that don't know how to pick up after them that bothers me.

Could someone explain to me why so many dog owners pick up the dog doo in a bag tie off the bag and then leave the bag and doo on the ground. If you're just going to leave it behind then don't add a bag to it. Is this some sort of project to preserve dog doo for future scientists to study? It will degrade on its own eventually but if you wrap it in plastic first and leave it then how long will it last?

I can't explain that one. I don't get it either. (Maybe some people think they are doing their part by bagging it but are too lazy, or, refuse to carry (sh)it around?)

Postby hollamby » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:59 pm

Whats every ones views on some of these new possible rules:

http://www.newsfirst5.com/news/the-incline-needs-a-lot-of-friends/

I personally am not a fan of dawn to dusk and only ascents no descents. This conversion is going to be a mess.

Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:57 am

We'll find out tomorrow night what they're really proposing (5-7 pm, Manitou town hall). Dawn-to-dusk was uniformly hated by those at the last meeting. Banning dogs and up-only were less controversial, but we'll see...

Thursday's meeting is supposed to be a poster session without any set schedule, so you can show up or leave at any time.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby England » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:49 am

CO Native wrote:
d_baker wrote:The dogs don't bother me. It's the owners that don't know how to pick up after them that bothers me.

Could someone explain to me why so many dog owners pick up the dog doo in a bag tie off the bag and then leave the bag and doo on the ground. If you're just going to leave it behind then don't add a bag to it. Is this some sort of project to preserve dog doo for future scientists to study? It will degrade on its own eventually but if you wrap it in plastic first and leave it then how long will it last?

Here's the what I'm told by the dog owners, and I've asked many as I see it done all the time. They bag it up with the intent to, "Get it on their way back". Then I call Bull$#it on the owner!!! If that was true then we wouldn't see bags o $#it everywhere. After that the owners always pick up the bag, but I'm sure many of them throw it back down after I'm out of sight.
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:51 pm

One more bump... Public info meeting is 5-7 tonight, Manitou Springs town hall.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Trip report: not much has changed since October's draft. Still dawn-to-dusk, no pets, and "suggested" uphill-only (apparently this isn't really a rule, just advice). Dawn-to-dusk is probably not going to be enforced, but it helps with liability protection. Also still in the plan is a credit-card-operated entry gate for the Barr Trail parking lot, with rates tiered to favor longer stays (to discourage Incline users), and other parking changes along Ruxton (including the Cog lot being available for a fee before 9 am). The final plan is to be presented to the Springs City Council February 22 and the Manitou City Council March 15 or 22. Big issues are funding the whole mess, and getting through the Forest Service approval process, but the FS has been cooperating enthusiastically so far. The new descent trail on the east side of the incline is out of the plan for the time being, to simplify the FS environmental impact approval process.

Postby hollamby » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks for the update on this issue. Parking sounds like it is going to be fun.

Thanks again
Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Postby abrowland » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:57 pm

Fat, out of shape dogs whose owners don't realize they have fat, out of shape dogs are rejoicing all over town!

Postby George Kaplan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:25 pm

Why does anything in detail need to be put into this law? Just make it legal and include disclaimers that people hike at their own risk and landowners are not liable for anything. At most, post a couple of extra warning signs. Keep it simple!

Rules about time of use, direction of use, extra trails, banning of dogs, parking regulations... Bah, I say! All unnecessary! Just legalize it in the simplest way possible! 8)

Postby tmathews » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:28 pm

George Kaplan wrote:Just legalize it in the simplest way possible! 8)

This statement could be applied to other things as well. :wink:

Postby Rastaman566 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:53 am

Jim Davies wrote:Trip report: not much has changed since October's draft. Still dawn-to-dusk, no pets, and "suggested" uphill-only (apparently this isn't really a rule, just advice). Dawn-to-dusk is probably not going to be enforced, but it helps with liability protection. Also still in the plan is a credit-card-operated entry gate for the Barr Trail parking lot, with rates tiered to favor longer stays (to discourage Incline users), and other parking changes along Ruxton (including the Cog lot being available for a fee before 9 am). The final plan is to be presented to the Springs City Council February 22 and the Manitou City Council March 15 or 22. Big issues are funding the whole mess, and getting through the Forest Service approval process, but the FS has been cooperating enthusiastically so far. The new descent trail on the east side of the incline is out of the plan for the time being, to simplify the FS environmental impact approval process.

Will there still be free parking anywhere? I ask this because there are students that go up there, and if there anything like myself, sometimes the change that's stuck between the seats is just enough to pay for the gas to get home, let alone a parking fee. I would have loved to voice my opinion at the meeting but I was unaware of it until now.

Postby England » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:29 pm

Jim Davies wrote: no pets

=D> =D> =D> =D> Doggie owners are losing ground, due to their own negligence. =D> =D> =D> =D>
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

PreviousNext