Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fort Collins Climb Night

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Fort Collins Climb Night

Postby Dave B » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:28 am

I was wondering if any Fort Collins people might be interested in having a set night (or nights) every week to meet at one of the climbing gyms for a little exercise and occasionally followed by a beer.

I know the CSU mountain club meets every Friday at Miramount but I was hoping to maybe organize a group for Inner Strength since that gym totally lacks the Miramount crowds and (ahem) dude-bro climber bravado (not that there's anything wrong with that :D)

I was thinking Wednesday nights around 6 or so, but am pretty much open to whatever.

Anyone interested?
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Re: Fort Collins Climb Night

Postby JohnP FTC » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:11 pm

I'd love to come out. My wife got me a gift certificate for Inner Strength for Cristmas and I've been looking forward to learing. Whatever is decided, I'd try to make it out when I can. Fridays are easiest for me (don't have to get my son ready for school the next day). Plus, it'd be easier to talk my wife into letting me out for beers afterward if it wasn't a school night. Either way though, keep me in the loop.

P.S. How was Aconcagua? Hope you guys had fun and your collar bone didn't bother you too much. (Sorry if I missed this info on another post or thread.)

-John P.
(Highfisher)
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. -Carl Sagan

Postby Dave B » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:26 pm

JohnP FTC wrote:P.S. How was Aconcagua? Hope you guys had fun and your collar bone didn't bother you too much. (Sorry if I missed this info on another post or thread.)

Thanks! It was good, unfortunately we didn't summit though, the weather was horrendous from basecamp to high camp. Only two out of the 8 we went with made the summit in near white-out conditions. I'm planning on putting up a TR soon, but we just got back yesterday and need a little decompression time :lol: Other than that thought the collar bone was pretty good, it started hurting quite a bit as we carried our full packs from white rocks at 19,400 feet down to base camp at 14,000 but just that day.

Friday night for the gym will definitely work for us, we're thinking about trying to get down their at least twice a week if not more but I'll keep you updated!

Cheers!

Postby JohnWilliams » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Hey, if you guys are interested in any outdoor climbing close to FC I usualy get up to Duncans Ridge at Horsetooth Resevoir at least once a week. If there is a day with mid forties and above with ample sunlight its pleanty comfortable to climb. easy to mod routes in the 40 foot range dot the ridge.

My work hours conflict with Inner Strenth's hours so it would be hard for me to join you guys, but i could try. let me know when your planning on going.

john
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins

Postby Dave B » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:51 pm

Johnba wrote:Hey, if you guys are interested in any outdoor climbing close to FC I usualy get up to Duncans Ridge at Horsetooth Resevoir at least once a week. If there is a day with mid forties and above with ample sunlight its pleanty comfortable to climb. easy to mod routes in the 40 foot range dot the ridge.

My work hours conflict with Inner Strenth's hours so it would be hard for me to join you guys, but i could try. let me know when your planning on going.

john

I'm down to get out to Duncan's ridge and would prefer to climb outdoors if possible, unfortunately, my work hours seem to contradict daylight hours right now (gotta love the 9-5). Are your hours the same on the weekend?

Postby JohnP FTC » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:13 pm

Dave- Too bad you didn't summit. I'm sure it was still an awesome trip, I look forward to seeing the report.

John- I'd love to go climb at Duncan's with you if you don't mind teaching a noob how it's done safely.

Shoot me a PM if anything is going on guys. I work M-F 7-3:30.

-John P.
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. -Carl Sagan

Postby Johnson » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:33 pm

I'd be up for something but may need to wait till after I see Dr. Gray about my shoulder. Duncan's ridge interests me a bit more just because the vert of Inner Strength messes with my RC too much right now. I think this is an excellent idea.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby JohnWilliams » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:40 pm

My normal hours are M-F 230pm till 1030pm with weekends off. I do now have school on Tuesday and thursday morning befor work. So basiclly i can get out to climb on weekends and M W and F before 1ish. Im sure thats hard to muster for most people but let me know if it does work.

PM me and ill give you my #, for those who dont have it already.

-John I'd be more than happy to get you started. I have extra harnesses and shoes if anybody needs stuff.

I might shoot for friday morning if the weather stays nice (upper 40s) maybe around 10am?

john
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins

Postby Dave B » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:07 pm

So it seems differing schedules are going to be an obstacle here which is a bummer.

I'll offer this for now. Becky and I plan to be at Inner Strength on Wednesdays and Fridays (starting next week) from 6-8ish. We welcome anyone who's interested to come join us. I've got an extra pair of shoes (size 11) and extra biners/belay devices if anyone is in need. Unfortunately I only have one harness at the moment but am thinking about a new one relatively soon. I'll try to wear my 14ers.com t-shirt both days so I'd be easy to find.

I really like the idea of Duncan's ridge climbing, I wonder if we should try to arrange a Saturday or Sunday out there when everyone's schedule coincides. We're really looking into expanding our climbing into the trad realm so having a group out there might afford some opportunities of such.

-John P, if you can't make it out with Johnba let me know when you'd like to hit up inner strength, we could probably make it this Friday

-Barry, same for you although my broken collarbone from 2 months ago has me empathizing with you rotator cuff problems

-Johba, I'd make it out there on Friday for sure, but have class from 10-11 and obligations after, hope all goes well and the weather cooperates

Postby Andymcp1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:13 pm

This sounds like an awsome idea! I work over at Miramont and if you guys would want to come climb there im sure I could get everyone in for free a few times at least. Dosent inner strength have a 6.50 night once a week?

If your up to teach a complete newbie im down to try some climbing outside.

Postby mountRMN » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:10 pm

I am curious how many of us are normals at miramont. I'm at miramont north climbing every other day.

Postby JohnWilliams » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:16 pm

Andymcp1 wrote:This sounds like an awsome idea! I work over at Miramont and if you guys would want to come climb there im sure I could get everyone in for free a few times at least. Dosent inner strength have a 6.50 night once a week?

If your up to teach a complete newbie im down to try some climbing outside.

Andy, a question. What kind of rate would Miramon offer for a FRCC student? anything special? I'm looking to drop an rarely used 24 hour membership

john

Next