Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

What date works best for you?

March 26
4%
April 2
4%
April 9
No votes
April 16
8%
April 30
4%
May 7
58%
May 14
23%

Total votes : 26

Re: Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby Gueza » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:43 pm

crossfitter wrote:Missouri on April 16th might be a good choice. If the snow conditions are right, the north face couloirs would be a fun alternate route.

+1
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby mennoguy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:25 pm

April 9 works best for me, I'm partial to 12ers and 13ers so I would throw the Buffalo Peak group out there or Homestake Peak.

Postby dmccool » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:26 pm

I love the idea of the Missouri couloirs. CR 390 should be accessible - plus if 4WD is still necessary maybe folks can carpool from BV.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby bif » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:41 pm

hello
"I wish I would have added "Just consider Horn Fork Basin on March 19-20 the Gathering", as many will be planning for that weekend, and it certainly could be considered if enough people prefer that idea."

Where do you vote for this date?

bif

Postby kaiman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:13 pm

bif wrote:hello
"I wish I would have added "Just consider Horn Fork Basin on March 19-20 the Gathering", as many will be planning for that weekend, and it certainly could be considered if enough people prefer that idea."

bif

bif,

Login and you should see the option to vote appear at the top of the page.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:32 pm

bif wrote:hello

bif

If you're using the Mobile version of the forum, polling is not visible yet. Working on it tonight...
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby USAKeller » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:38 pm

KeithK wrote:Since one person asked, and to celebrate the glory that is spring, and the demise of winter*, it's time to plan the big official unofficial not-sponsored-by 14ers.com Spring Gathering!

*underlined selections may reflect the extremely prejudiced opinion of the author.

Hahaha Keith! You just enjoy rubbing it in to us snow fanatics don't you :wink:. Although, springtime brings a lot of snow on the high peaks!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby KeithK » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:58 pm

USAKeller wrote:
KeithK wrote:Since one person asked, and to celebrate the glory that is spring, and the demise of winter*, it's time to plan the big official unofficial not-sponsored-by 14ers.com Spring Gathering!

*underlined selections may reflect the extremely prejudiced opinion of the author.

Hahaha Keith! You just enjoy rubbing it in to us snow fanatics don't you :wink:. Although, springtime brings a lot of snow on the high peaks!

Oh Caroline, I'm so misunderstood! I LOVE snow! After it melts.

Bif, I think you're confusing my statement. There is an overnight trip planned for March 19 in Horn Fork; there is a thread for it. What I was getting at was that if people wanted to just consider that instead of two trips, that would certainly be okay. I didn't ask Steve if he would mind...
Snow is dumb.™

Postby hollamby » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:19 pm

Put in for the 26th but open to the other times as well. I like KC/Challenger idea.

Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Postby Kevin Baker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Not to reign on people's parades, but north facing couloirs would probably be suspect in March or April, although snow tends to consolidate earlier in the Sangres. KC/Challenger would be a formidable challenge in either of those months. Will be interesting to see what peak/s are picked. My vote is for a 13er or two that I haven't done. :D
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby kansas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:35 am

Kevin Baker wrote:Not to reign on people's parades, but north facing couloirs would probably be suspect in March or April, although snow tends to consolidate earlier in the Sangres. KC/Challenger would be a formidable challenge in either of those months.

My thoughts exactly, Kevin. Why can't we just do this in May?! The climbing would be much more enjoyable...get it together Keith. :P
(and yes, I'm still sad about the dates you picked)
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby tmathews » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 am

kansas wrote:My thoughts exactly, Kevin. Why can't we just do this in May?! The climbing would be much more enjoyable...get it together Keith. :P
(and yes, I'm still sad about the dates you picked)

An early May date might give us better access to more trailheads/campgrounds, so I'd be down for that idea.

PreviousNext